Thread Lift Pain After 2 1/2 Years

I still feel pain and discomfort Two-and-a-half years after my Thread Lift operation. I know that the threads are removable, but I'm afraid that I might make things worse.

Removing the thread lift

+3

It is difficult to know without knowing the exact type of thread (suture).

The most popular thread lift is a nonabsorbable suture with barbs on it. Occasionally, these sutures can migrate and the barbs may irritate nerves. Sometimes, the best solution is to remove the offending thread. But to answer your question, it is possible to remove without a face lift. However, the real question is whether you will need a face lift after removing the thread and that remains to be seen.

Some surgeons feel that if the threads have been present for long enough, the core of collagen surrounding the suture may be adequate to maintain the results after removal. Others do not believe this to be true.

There are several brands and each may require a different approach.

For example the contour thread lift comes in two types:

1. One version has barbs in one direction and must be secured to another with barbs in the opposite direction. This requires a central knot.
  2. The other version has the barbs placed in opposite directions at either end with a central looped non-barbed zone (no knot required).

To remove a stitch that has bocome visible, I prefer to remove it at the far end where it will simply glide out if the knot has loosened. If there is no knot, you may have to find the segment without barbs, which may be difficult

In the event that it has not come to the surface, you may have to go hunting for the knot or loop. The knots can usually be felt, whereas the loops cannot. I have developed a technique to find the loops, which is difficult to describe here.

Once you find the non-barbed segment, you will have to pull backwards with some force (enough to fracture the barbs). Occasionally, this will result in breaking or splitting of the suture.