TCA Peel or Laser Treatment for Raised Back Acne Scars?

Is TCA peel recommended for raised acne scars on my back or is laser treatment a better choice? I have a lot of acne scars on my upper back--almost a hundred. They are slightly raised and white in appearance. What is best way to remove them?

Raised acne scars on the back

+1

I agree with Dr. Hansen's posting, that raised (hypertrophic) scars should be treated with an injectable (cortisone and/or 5-fluorouracil). The discoloration is likely to be permanent. If you are going to consider tattoo for the permanent white discoloration in the future, it would probably be a good idea to have them perform a test spot first, to ensure that you do not develop hypertrophic scars/keloids from the tattoo procedure.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Treatment of raised white acne scars on the back

+1

TCA peels nor laser treatments do anything for raised scars.  You have to get them injected with kenalog until they go flat.  Once they are flat then the laser or TCA  peels can blend the colors to make them less noticeable but the white is usually permanent and may need tattooing color into them.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon