Tattoo Removal Through Excision for the Whole Back?

I have a tattoo that covers my whole back. I was wondering if I go with the excision option, will it cover the whole tattoo and will it be noticeable?

Excision not a good option for an entire back tattoo

+1

This would likely require skin grafting to repair and the skin graft would not only look horrible but also be thin, nondurable skin.  Back skin is designed by nature to be tough and skin grafts are very thin.  Look into the possibility of a PicoSure tattoo removal as likely the best option.

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Excising Large Tattoos

+1

I rarely recommend excisions for tattoo removal, and your case is no exception. With a large tattoo (which it sounds like yours is), an excision is not only impractical but perhaps impossible. Instead, I'd recommend finding an experienced and knowledgable physician who can treat your tattoo with a series of pigment-directed laser treatments. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Tattoo treatment

+1

Excising a tattoo on your whole back seems like trading a tattoo in for a large scar?? Not sure how they are planning the excision but would ask about scarring for sure..... laser technology has come a long way and you can get amazing results with little to usually no scarring from the newer laser devices. Look for someone with a lot of experience and find out how many treatemtns and how much it will cost before starting . This will be a long process so prepare yourself for it mentally.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Tattoo excision

+1

No, what you are considering is not a good option. Be careful you do not trade one problem for a worse  problem. Excision of your tattoo will obviously result in a scar that may be unsightly. Several excisions (staged) may be necessary because of the tightness of the skin in this area.

Skin grafting is a major procedure with significant potential risks and complications,  involving the recipient and donor sites. Again, the resulting cosmetic results leaves much to be desired.

I would suggest you continue to look into laser treatment options.