Will Skin Still Tan Afer IPL?

I have a mild case of cheek redness and I am considering getting IPL on that area. I live in Florida and I go to the beach at least once a month. Will the treated area still tan after the IPL?

IPL and Suntan is a bad combination!

+3

The IPL (intense pulsed light) or BBL (broadband light, a more advanced IPL treatment modality by Sciton) is a wonderful method for reducing that flushed redness/broken capillary appearance. This may develop on the basis of heredity, or on the basis of a skin condition called Rosacea, and as a result of chronic sun exposure.

I think it is important to have been protected from all sun exposure for at least three or four weeks before you have an IPL treatment, so it concerns me that you identify yourself as a beachgoer! If you can avoid the sun pre-treatment, then the treatment should help you. But if you cannot avoid the sun, re-consider having the treatment, in my opinion.

But after your IPL or BBL treatment, you need to avoid the sun too and use a broad spectrum sun block to protect yourself even when you are in the car.

Your skin will be able to tan normally and as usual after an IPL or BBL treatment but the idea is you are supposed to NOT tan! Certainly for a month or so after the treatment, you should be particularly careful, and then after that, you should be able to break the sun habit by then!

Fort Myers Dermatologist

Protect your skin after IPL

+1

Yes, you can tan after IPL -- but more importantly, sun damage and sun pigmentation will continue to occur, and intense sun can reverse the IPL treatment effect. Regular use of sunscreen and sun-protective behaviors are always recommended, before and after IPL treatments.

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Tanning after IPL?

+1

If you are using IPL to rejuvenate your skin and improve redness, it is best to use sunscreens and try not to tan.  However, it is still possible to tan a month later, its just counterproductive. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.