Precautions to Take for Rhinoplasty After Breast Augmentation?

I am having a Breast Augmentation in November and Rhinoplasty in December (two different doctors unfortunately). Are there any precautions I need to take when I have my nose done in Dec as to not affect my new implants?

Should I be worried? Also, is there a problem to being under anesthesia within weeks of each other?

Rhinoplasty one month after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

Prohylactic antibiotics may be  recommended or advised prior to the rhinoplasty to minimize seeding of the breast implant.

Okay to have rhinoplasty and breast augmentation performed weeks apart

+1

There are no issues regarding having a rhinoplasty and breast augmentation performed several weeks apart. It is important after the surgeries to be up on your feet and mobile to prevent blood clots from forming in your legs after two anesthetics in a short period of time. The blood clots from the legs can migrate into the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolus, which can be fatal. Exercise and staying on your feet can prevent this.

Precautions after breast implant surgery

+1

If you are having another surgery or procedure within a month of a breast augmentation, you should contact your surgeon regarding prophylactic antibiotics to prevent capsular contracture. What this means is that bacteria could get into your bloodstream from your rhinoplasty (or a dental cleaning, colonoscopy, etc.) and potentially become attached to your "new" breast implants. This could lead to an inflammatory reaction where your body's immune system develops thick, hard scar tissue around the implants. Occasionally this could lead to clinically hard, tight feeling breast implants-which may be permanent.

Discuss with both your surgeons the timing and type of antibiotic which should be used around the time of your surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

It should be no problem.

+1

Many patients undergo surgery every month for some conditions and have no problem. If the anesthetists are good you should have no problem with either surgery.

Rhinoplasty After Breast Augmentation

+1

Hi,

Make sure that your surgeon doesn't rest any sharp instruments on your chest during your rhinoplasty surgery...just kidding. There should be no problem having the surgeries as planned, and if you are otherwise healthy, no problem with the anesthesia.

Good luck and enjoy the changes.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Post-augmentation precautions

+1

As long as you have recovered sufficiently, a second procedure should not be a problem although both surgeons should be in communications with each other. There is a theoretical, and practical, risk of implant infection due to bacteremia during a rhinoplasty but as long as your rhinoplasty surgeon covers you with prophylactic antibiotics, this shouldn't occur.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD