Surgery to Stop Snoring?

I am a 37 y.o. man who has developed really bad snoring. I've tried an anti-snoring pillow, no results. How do I tell if I need nose surgery to solve this? What type of nose surgery is used to address snoring? What percent of the time is it effective?

Nose Surgery to Improve Snoring

+2

These are some general comments on Snoring and Nose Surgery;

• Sleep study should be done to diagnose the problem.
  • Evaluation of the nose, inside of  the nose, and mouth can give you the answer as to the possible cause.
  • Many times a combination of airway surgery (working inside the mouth and nose, therby increasing the diameter of the airway)  is ncessary.
  • Please consult an experienced surgeon for more precise diagnosis and treatment options.
  • A combination of Septoplasty, Turbinoplasty, and working on the soft palate and tongue can help many patients with this condition.

This is an overview and hope you will find it helpful.

Snoring and options for treatment

+2

If it is due to your nose, the breathe right nasal strips may help and you may want to try this at night first. If you are overweight, weight loss may be beneficial. You will probably best be served by first seeing a specialist which is typically an ENT. Many of the same causes that contribute to sleep apnea may be associated with snoring. A physical exam to evaluate your airway is in order and may be followed up with a sleep study. Depending on peripheral vs central causes, various options may be advised. There are a variety of methods to limit snoring which is due to the soft palate and can involve palatal lifts. CPAP devices may also be useful. Airwary surgery may also be indicated. As you can see this is very complex and I am oversimplfying the explanation

Treatment of snoring

+1

Snoring can be a physiologically and socially difficult problem to deal with. However, as mentioned above, a sleep study is the best place to start. Such a study can help you and your physician to understand your sleep dynamics and possibly diagnose sleep apnea, if present. From there, several treatment options exist. Weight loss, in those who are overweight, particularly in the neck region, can help. While CPAP and breathe right nasal strips can also help, an examination by an ENT, can help to identify an anatomic cause for snoring, if it exists, in the nose but also in the soft palate, base of tongue or pharynx. In terms of the nose, a septoplasty and inferior turbinate reduction has helped some patients with snoring in the past but these patients generally complained of difficulty breathing through their nose and longstanding snoring A thorough ENT exam is probably your best bet.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative Snoring Solutions

+1

The CPAP machine is the gold standard for Sleep Disorders. The bad news is a lot people don't wear the machine. The good news is there is a great dental device as an alternative. See the attached video about oral snoring and sleep apnea devices that can be constructed by a trained dentist.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Depends on the cause...

+1

Snoring can be a complicated problem. It can be caused by turbulent air flow at any point in the respiratory tract. This means that the cause could be in the nose, could be the soft palate (the soft part of the roof of the mouth), the base of the tongue, or in rare cases the voice box. In some cases, it may be a multilevel problem. The first step in determining the cause of your snoring is visiting an ENT (ears, nose and throat or otolaryngologist) surgeon. He can place a small fiberoptic scope in the nose and better charactize areas of problems. More importantly the ENT surgeon can help to determine if further testing for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is necessary. Snoring can be an indication of OSA which can be a significant medical condition. Good luck in your search!!

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.