Successful Pregnancy Possible After Mastectomy, Reconstruct and Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck as well as a preventative mastectomy with breast reconstruction a few years ago. Do you know of any cases where women who have had the same procedures as me have had successful pregnancies afterward?

Thnx

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on. It takes 9 months to stretch the skin in pregnancy. Obviously you being pregnant 1 week after tummy tuck is not idea, but this will not cause you to open up. You will be well healed by the time the baby will be stretching the tissues. Consult with your OBGyn to see if there are any risks to the fetus that may have occured if you were pregnant during the anesthetic.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Yes, you should be able to have a successful pregnancy after the procedures you have undergone.

Generally, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery. However, I have heard anecdotally (recently) from patients and OB/GYN physicians that the abdominal wall can be very tight and that some OB/GYN's recommend earlier delivery if possible. Check with your own OB/GYN for his/her experience in this situation.

Depending on the weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc.  revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy. This is a situation where only time will tell.

Successful pregnancy

+1
It is possible to have a successful pregnancy after these procedures provided your reproductive system is intact. If you are considering this I would suggest speaking with your gynecologist. From a plastic surgery standpoint, there should be no issues

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck and Breast Reconstruction

+1

Pregnancy would not be a problem after a standard tummy tuck or breast reconstruction using a method other than abdominal tissue. Since you underwent prophylactic mastectomy I assume you did this because you are gene positive. You might want to discuss the matter with your geneticist to understand the ramifications of increased hormone levels and being gene positive.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy following tummy tuck and breast reconstruction

+1

Hi, if you are healthy, you should be able to complete your pregnancy safely.  Your skin and tissues will stretch out to accomodate your expanding uterus.  You should make your OB/GYN aware of your prior surgery.  Congratulations and good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after Tummy tuck

+1

Dear Sosue

As far as the tummy tuck goes there is no reason why you couldn't have another child. Altho the abdomen may stretch out some there is otherwise no physiologic reason not to become pregnant from the abdominal standpoint.

You do say you had a prophylactic mastectomy but I am somewhat confused about the type of reconstruction TRAM flap, expanders and implants or something else. My major concern is the reason for the mastectomy if there was a cancer there. If that was the case I would discuss it with your OB/GYN and your oncologist.

Good luck!

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after several surgeries is possible

+1

Over the years I had few patients who had tummy tucks followed by pregnancy. Breast reconstruction using a pedicle TRAM flap uses one of your muscles and if a mesh is used, tissues will be tighter. This will not prevent pregnancy, but might increase the chance of a C-section. All the best!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck/Breast Reconstruction

+1

I have had occasional patients over the years who have had a prior tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and breast reconstruction and gone on to a successful pregnancy. What type of breast reconstruction did you have? Was it using a muscle and skin flap from your abdomen? Or was it a breast expander or use of a muscle/skin flap from the back? Your reconstructive surgeon should be able to tell you what changes you could expect with a pregnancy in view of your prior surgical history.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon