Success Rate of Tear Troughs Fillers?

I hear nothing but horror stories and see less than pleasing results with the tear troughs fillers. What's the key to success here?

My doctor, wanting to demonstrate how wonderful it would be, and how great the difference would be, had me cover one eye, and then injected some water under the other; he then had me look in the mirror, at each eye separately. It looked awful.

I know that proper technique is key, but this is all good in theory. Do you have patients who are honestly and truly satisfied with this procedure and would do it again?

Tear trough fillers do well if done in small increments over a few weeks

+2

Filling in the tear trough areas can be tricky and you have to expect some lumps and bumps for a little while. It is best done over 3-4 sessions over a few weeks with either Juvederm or Restylane ($550/syringe for 2-3 syringes) or Radiesse diluted with lidocaine ($830/ syringe @ 2 syringes). Even with a few little bumps that eventually disappear, most patients still like the end results which can last from 6-9 months better than the deep hollowness under the eyes. Bruising is also to be expected so cover up with good makeup.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough injections

+1

The tear trough is a very difficult area to fill, as the skin is very thin and small bumps become very obvious. It requires a significant amount of experience to achieve natural results, but when you do get a good result, it looks great. I would recommend seeking a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has extensive experience in this area. While most of us are comfortable with fillers, a small number have expertise with the tear trough area. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tear trough injections

+1

Tear trough injections are usually nice adjuncts to improve the facial appearance. This can be accomplished with the hyaluronic acid fillers such as restylane and juvederm.

Lower eyelid grooves respond well to Injectable Filler treatments.

+1

The lower eyelid groove, or "tear trough", is the groove that forms between your lower lid fat-bulge and cheek. Filling these grooves lead to gratifying results for my patients and me.

I've attached a link to a photo demonstrating this technique.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers can work great for the tear trough but also may be visible in a few people

+1

Most patients who get fillers for the tear trough are happy. Unfortunately, I have found that from 20 to 25% may see some lumps. If you compare the before to the afters, the eyes with the lumps still often look better but now patients are using magnifying mirrors to examine their eyes. I prefer using Restylane for this area. There is more initial swelling but after 2 days it is stable for many months. What you might read about unhappy patients really stems more from the fact that unhappy patients post more and happy patients are less likely to spend time searching for a solution; they already have it.

You should seek out a physician who has a lot of experience in filler treatments for this delicate area.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD