Vaser Lipo Made Stretch Marks Worse. Will They Get Better with Time?

You can see in the pics. My tummy looks like it's been tortured. It's been 3 weeks since I hadVaser liposuction. I'm very concerned about mystrech marks. I had a child really early and had some on my tummy, but not like this. They were way lighter and smoother. Will it get better?

Vaser Lipo made stretch marks worse

+5

Hi Melissa,

Yes and No. Allow me to explain.

At 3 weeks post op you are still swollen. When you touch your sides they still feel somewhat unnatural. The skin does not move as freely as it should. All of these changes will go away when the inflammation resolves.

Liposuction (VASER included) does NOTHING for stretch marks. For that matter no technique (regardless of the hype out there) can remove stretchmarks. In removing the fat, skin excess and redundancy can be made worse. (Imagine a sail boat full of wind. As soon as the wind stops (IE the fat is removed), the sail (IE excess skin) droops and all the folds in the sail cloth (is stretch marks) are visible.

In your case, the fat was removed. Your poochiness has been corrected. But the stretch marks which are permanent may look worse because of the deflation.

In the end. You will look much better in clothes. But you will not look worse naked because the stretch marks will and can only remain unless you have a tummy tuck.

Hope this was helpful.

Vaser for stretch marks

+4

The healing process after Vaser Liposuction can take several weeks to months.  At the 3 week point, you are still swollen and there is still inflammation from the surgery.  The inflammation under the skin can temporarily make the stretch marks look worse.  It takes about 6 weeks for most of the swelling to be out.  It takes 4-6 months for the skin tightening effect after VASER to be more apparent.  The VASER heats up the collagen in the skin and allows for more skin tightening than regular liposuction.  So...in a few months the stretch marks should look better, but they will not be gone. 

A tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck would surgically remove a lot of your stretch marks, but its way too early to tell.   

Stanley Castor, MD

VASER Lipo and Stretch Marks

+1

Melissa, as the swelling lessens and the skin is no longer stretched to accommodate that swelling, the stretch marks will, hopefully, go back to their previous appearance. No lipo procedure will eliminate stretch marks, as you know.

Here at my plastic surgery practice, I recommend massage to help soften the treated area(s) and help diminish swelling. It's not too late to do this; ask your board certified plastic surgeon to advise you if there is a licensed massage therapist in your area that he or she recommends.

To your health & beauty,

Dr. Paul Vanek, Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon near Cleveland, OH in Mentor

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon