How Many Star Lux Treatments is Required to Repair Superficial Acne Scar?

How many treatments of Star Lux 1540 for a small acne scar on my forehead? I have a very superficial acne scar on my forehead and I am going to use the Starlux 1540 Fractional laser. How many treatments will give me desired results for that scar? It is very superficial.

How many treatments for acne with Starlux 1540

+1

For a superficial acne scar, we would recommend 2-3  treatments.  Healing is based on new collagen formation, so that takes 2-3  months to see the result.  You would have the treatments at 3 week intervals.

The Lux 1540 is used all the time in our practice for stretch marks, acne scarring, facial wrinkles and to improve the appearance of scars.

An alternative is the Smartskin micro ablative fractional  C02 laser which we also offer.  1-2 treatments would likely be sufficient with this laser.  And results would be seen sooner.  The scar would however show more redness and swelling for several days after the procedure.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Laser Scar Revision

+1

The Lux1540 laser is an Erb:Glass laser that is extremely effective in treating scars.  I have been using this laser for about 2 years and have seen dramatic results!  The Lux15450 laser delivers its energy to water in the scar tissue, which causes the scar to reorganize, soften and look better overall. 

This laser is "nonablative," meaning when the laser light comes into contact with the skin, it imparts energy but does not vaporize the skin.  This leads to much quicker healing (virtually no downtime), but it is less agressive than an "ablative" laser.

In my practice, I recommend 3 treatments with the Lux1540 laser spaced one month apart.  Stacking treatments in this way takes advantage of the collagen-making machinery in the skin that gets turned on after the first treatment.  With deeper acne scars, you will likely need more treatments.

One other thing to consider is the energy level of the laser.  If you have a lighter complexion, you can safely use higher energy levels and would therefore need less treatments.  Those with darker complexions will need lower energy settings during each treatment to prevent side effects.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Surgeon

+1

If this scar is small and superficial, I would suggest you locate a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that specializes in removing scars with surgery.

Failing this, a filler could be used and the remaining filler utilized in different areas of your face.

Wouldn't this be far cheaper, convenient and less risky than a series of laser treatments?

Just wondering.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Palomar Star Lux Treatment for Acne Scar

+1

HiRlc 92,

Though I have not used Palomar's Star Lux 1540, it is very similar to Solta's Fraxel restore (1550). My experience with the 1550 is that scars may take anywhere from 2 to 6 sessions, separated by a minimum of 2 weeks (3 in darker skin types).

Usually the scar improves each time. The forehead is a very good responder because of the underlying boney support. The end point is reached when it is difficult to find the scar, or there is not any further improvement from the last session.

Good luck with getting rid of your scar.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD