Other Reasons Why Smoking Must Be Avoided Before Smart Lipo?

I am having Smart Lipo and I smoke a few cigarettes a day. Other than the skin will heal faster, is there any other reason you can't be a smoker and get Smart Lipo?

Smoking and liposuction

+1

Smoking in general decreases blood supply to the skin. Because any procedure that involves surgery requires an increased blood supply, you’re taking a chance, by smoking, that you won’t heal as well as you could have. So, to answer your question, there isn’t any other reason per se. It’s all about the healing. Ask yourself this question: why spend money on treatments if you’re going to risk a less-than-stellar result by smoking afterwards?

Smoking and liposuctioning

+1

The chemicals in smoke will cause a decrease in blood flow in the body. In order to heal, both the skin and under the skin, good blood flow is needed. So with less blood flow the healing will not be as goos. That may result in more irregularities and a longer healing time for the lipo sutioning. Ultimately, it is less of an issue than when a larger procedure, like a tummy tuck, is performed.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.