Advisable to Have Smart Lipo and Kids Later?

Is it safe or a good idea to get Smart Lipo if I plan to maybe have kids in the next 5-10 years? I know that if I become pregnant I will still develop extra fat; but if I get Smart Lipo, will it also decrease the amount of fat after pregancy? Will it effect my pregnancy or kids?

Smart Lipo and pregnancy

+1

Smart Lipo or even regular Liposuction will be safe in your situation. Please understand that any Lipo suction reduces the number of fat cells but during times of weight gain each fat cell can grow to twice or even 3 times its size. 

Liposuction and future pregnancy

+1

Liposuction 5-10 years prior to beocming pregnant should not have any impact on your pregnancies or your children's development. More patients are concerned about tummy tucks with pregnancy. WIth tummy tucks I tell patients to hold off until after they are done having children.

It's possible that the fat may come back after a pregnancy, so just keep that in mind

+1

After a procedure like SmartLipo, the fat usually goes away and stays away, but I have seen times that with pregnancy an area can come back. That doesn't mean that you should avoid it per se, but just be aware that this can happen at times.

Whatever the case, it is a great procedure and I am sure you will be happy you had it done, whatever the time!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Liposuctioning before pregnancy

+1

The simple answer is "yes"

This is an often asked question when body contouring procedures like tummy tuck and liposuctioning are of concern, Should I wait until after my pregnancies or before. No one can answer that question for you but here are some thoughts.

If the pregnancy is planned in the upcomming year, hold off until after the pregnancies are finished.

If you are accepting of the possible negative changes that will occur with pregnancy but want the benefits of a procedure for the time until pregnancy then do the procedure now. Your body will still change and chances are that you will need or want something done again.

If you only want to have one procedure for body contouring in your lifetime wait until after pregnancy AND menopause because that is another time that will change your body.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon