Can Smart Lipo Be Done in Same Areas Again?

I had Smart Lipo a year ago (inner/outer thighs, knees, flanks, lower abdomen). I wasn’t content (one leg bigger) with the results. I went for consultation in Manhattan at Park Avenue for another Smart Lipo treatment. After pointing out few areas I’d want improved, the  surgeon said he couldn’t. He said it's “too hard to do Smart Lipo in same areas”, and warned “don’t ever do Lipo on your legs second time because in 7 years, you’ll have loose skin”.

My outcome wasn't that terrible, and I didn't understand how a "top" surgeon wouldn't be good enough to remove more fat on my knees and outer/inner thighs. Is it a sign that he's not good enough or I really shouldn't do it? Should I follow his advice or go to another top surgeon who said he could do it? Is it true that re-doing those areas will cause loose skin in 7 years?

Repeated Smart Lipo

+3

There are a number of uses for SmartLipo, and it’s true that some doctors won’t treat the same area more than once. Others, like myself, will do a second or even a third treatment, though they are done generally 6-12 months after the first treatment. There is no evidence that SmartLipo causes loose skin; to the contrary, it tightens loose skin.

Repeating SmartLipo Treatments

+1

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results.  Revision SmartLipo is something that is not unheard of.  In fact, revision liposuction in general can be very common.  I often see patients in my practice who were unhappy with their liposuction results from other surgeons.  I generally advise them to wait at least one year before committing to a revision procedure, especially for SmartLipo, as the full results with skin tightening are best seen at 6-12 months post op. 

If your previous surgeon feels uncomfortable performing this, there is nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion.  Revision liposuction, if there is cause for it, does not in itself cause loose skin.  What your doctor may be concerned about is over-resection, which can cause undesirable results.  Again, it never hurts to seek out a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon and have an open discussion regarding your goals.

Mytien Goldberg, MD