Is Slim Lipo Safe After Full Tummy Tuck?

I am planning to get a mommy makeover that includes a full tummy tuck, breast lift with breast augmentation and liposuction of the upper abdomen.

The doctor said that to lipo the upper abdomen during the FTT would increase the chance of necrosis. However, Slim Lipo would be safer because it wouldn't kill the blood vessels, only the fat. I'm a bit worried.

Oddly, I have a lot of upper abdomen fat, although I am 5'3" and 115 lbs. Is it safe to have the full tummy tuck and the upper abdomen liposuctioned through Slim Lipo?

SlimLipo is excellent for treating upper abdominal fat, but be cautious

+2

I also use SlimLipo to assist in liposuction and have used it conjunction with full abdominoplasty or brachioplasty. Any time skin flaps are raised, the blood supply is altered. If performed conservatively, I believe the SlimLipolaser would not adversely alter the blood supply to the skin during your "tummy tuck," and could have very positive results. Your plastic surgeon is trying to get you the best result possible in one operation. If you are significantly concerned, the liposuction can always be performed at another time, after the abdominoplasty and breast procedures.

SlimLipo is a form of liposuction and poses the same risks of necrosis during full abdominoplasty

+2

I use Slimlipo and am a great believer in the many advantages of this technique.

Although SlimLipo in my experience is less traumatic to the underlying vessels and fibrous septae than traditional liposuction, it is still an invasive procedure into the space beneath the skin. In addition, the laser works by heating the tisssues and during full abdominoplasty the blood vessels and circulation to the skin are already compromised. Good blood flow is essential to dissapate the heat of the laser, thus in my opinion there is increased risk of a burn by doing laser assisted liposuction at the same time as a full abdominoplasty.

I have used Slimlipo safely in combination with a mini-tummy tuck but would advise against it during a full abdominoplasty.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS