When is It Safe to Sleep Flat After Rhinoplasty?

I know you should sleep at a 30-45 degree angle immediately after surgery to reduce swelling, but sleeping that way has become painful and I always wake up after two hour intervals only to try to fall back to sleep. Is it safe to resume normal sleeping after one week post-op?

Safe to sleep flat 1 week after rhinoplasty

+1

After a week, it is important to get a good night of sleep in any position. Rolling around in different positions will not affect the shape of the nose.  

Head Elevation after Rhinoplasty

+1

I recommend head elevation for one week after surgery. This has obviously caused problems. Simply using two pillows for another two weeks may be helpful. Keeping your head above your chest while sleeping will minimize facial swelling.

Rhinoplasty Postop

+1

In general I allow my rhinoplasty patients to resume the supine or flat position after 3-5 days it they are comfortable to do so.

This is something that you should ask your plastic surgeon as every plastic surgeon has a different routine for postoperative managment.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Sleeping position after rhinoplasty

+1

I am not the surgeon who performed your surgery, thus my recommendations may not apply to you.

However, for my patients, I tell them to sleep upright for the first 2-3 days. I understand it is difficult to sleep comfortably that way. Thus, I tell my patients they can resume to sleep flat after about 3 days.

Before doing anything, you should ask your surgeon.

John Diaz, MD