Is Skin Graph Necessary in Rhinoplasty?

If so, how much does a skin graph cost?

Skin grafting is not part of Cosmetic Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

Skin grafting, or an adjacent tissue transfer, are procedures typically associated with nasal repair following skin cancer removal. Cosmetic Rhinoplasty Surgery is performed to improve the appearance and function of your nose without the use of skin grafts.

I hope this was helpful, and best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't skin graft the outside of the nose if at all possible! (see below re: inside)

+2

There are many places where skin grafts are useful for reconstructive problems, but in my opinion, they typically look terrible on most noses. They almost always look like a patch with poor color-match and poor texture match to the surrounding nose.

Most defects on the nose can be better repaired (much better) with tissue flaps transferred from adjacent areas of the face. While trickier to do, the end result is usually vastly superior to a skin graft.

Either way, they are not usually used in cosmetic rhinoplasty (with the exception of revision rhinoplasty where a skin or composite graft may be used inside the nostrils to correct retraction).

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin graft not used for rhinoplasty

+1

No, a skin graft is never needed during the rhinoplasty procedure.   A skin graft is only used for treating trauma, large burns and skin cancer reconstruction.

Skin Grafts in Rhinoplasty

+1

Skin grafts are rarely used in rhinoplasties unless it is a reconstructive operation after trauma or cancer surgery. Occasionally, skin grafts are used inside the nose during revision rhinoplasty when lining has been lost, causing narrowing of the airway, during the initial operation. These are frequently composite grafts, which include both skin and cartilaage.

Flaps are better than skin grafts

+1

Open and closed cosmetic rhinoplasty procedures do not require the use of skin grafts. For reconstructive cases, most surgeons will choose local flaps over skin grafts due to skin color match, skin texture match, etc.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Grafting in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

No.

Skin grafts are normally not required for cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery. Grafts of skin, either as a free piece or pedicled, are only used for reconstructive nasal surgery. Reconstruction surgery of the nose may be performed for cancer, trauma, or scar. Skin and cartilage tissue is usually taken from around the nose, cheek, forehead, or ears for reconstructive surgery.

The cost for reconstructive surgery varies, and normally covered by most insurance plans. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

No they are not.

+1

The only time they would be needed is for reconstructive problems such as cancer, trauma, etc. They are not needed in cosmetic noses unless the patient has scarring inside the nose from prior surgery.

Skin grafts for rhinoplasty?

+1

I must say I have never used one in a cosmetic case but in reconstructive cases I have used them on many cases.  Unless you are having a reconstruction of some kind I would not expect you to have a skin graft.

Steven Schuster MD FACS 

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Skin grafting in rhinoplasty

+1

The only circumstance in which a skin graft would be necessary with respect to nasal surgery would be in the reconstruction after a skin cancer or trauma.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Skin graft in Rhinoplasty

+1

ONLY in RECONSTRUCTIVE nose repairs (either on the surface for correction of holes left by removal of skin cancers) or internally to correct missing nose lining.

Skin grafting is NEVER used in cosmetic nose surgery.