Silicone Injections Before Dermabrasion and Acne Scar Revision?

I have some deep acne scars and superficial irregularities.  I have recently decided to treat deeper scars with silicone microdroplets.  What concerns me is the compatibility of this treatment with scar revision surgery (for icepick scars) and dermabrasion. Would I be able to have the later after silicone injections? It doesn't make sense to me to have dermabrasion for the skin before the depressions are filled. Thank you for your help.

Strong advice against Silicone. Read the posts on this site! Many problems and despair!

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Silicone for acne scars and dermabrasion

+1

I have been using microdroplet silicone injection combined with dermabrasion for more than 30 years. In experienced hands it gives the very best outcome for severe acne scarring. I usually do the silicone injections in several sessions one month apart first. For many patients the results are so good that dermabrasion is not needed. If we then do dermabrasion, we may use silicone afterwards for fine tuning.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Silicone injections to the face for acne scarring and scar revision surgery

+1

This would only be a hypothetical situation because the technique has not been widely studied or reported on due to the off-label indication.

Although silicone injections have been performed for some time the lack of good data has hampered its widespread use.

We commonly remove ruptured silicone breast implants and it is likely that microscopic amounts of silicone are in the scar without any adverse consequences. However, it is difficult to apply these observations to the face.

Acne scar treatment

+1

Acne scars are difficult to treat. Some times subcision can help. Ablative lasers may help with lowering the skin around the pits. Some lasers can be used to improve the collagen underneath. Fillers can be used or even fat to treat the soft tissue atrophy. I am not a fan of silicone because it ha been known to cause a lot of problems.

Avoid silicone injections

+1

The problem with silicone injection is the late rejection and inflamation. Silicone injections work and are permanant,but you pay for it down the road. I have seen horrible late results from silicone injections to the face,lips,breast and buttock. Please DO NOT let any body inject silicone to any part of the body. Silicone injections are impossible to remove and leave disfiguring scars.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon