Septoplasty Side Effects - Dorsal Augmentation, Turbinate Reduction

I have posted a few questions on this site regarding septoplasty and dorsal augmentation. I will be getting both in junction with turbinate reduction. I was wondering, what are some of the side effects from this type of surgery? Will I develop unwanted lumps on the bridge of my nose as a result of scar tissue, and if so, what can be done to solve this problem? After my surgery I will be giving a review of the outcome of the surgery. I am also on small amount of corticosterioids for my lupus. Will that affect the healing process? I have consent of my rhematologist and PCP.

Dorsal augmentation and turbinate reductiona

+2

Every surgery has complications. Some procedure are more likely to produce unexpected results. Dorsal augmentation is one of them. Depending on the type of graft used and the thickness of the skin covering the nasal dorsum, there can be irregularities visible especially after a few years. You should make sure your surgeon is experienced and discuss these possibilities carefully.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Augmentation

+2

Hi,

If the implant is properly placed you should not have any bumps on you nose.

As far as complication from septoplasty and turbinectomy, there are many including adhesions, perforations and nasal obstruction. Your surgeon should tell you about all the potential complications.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Side effects of septoplasty, dorsal augmentation, and turbinate reduction?

+2

I might be missing something in you posting? But it seems like you are asking the side effects/ complications of your proposed surgery. As well as, the effects of associated medical problems.

First, you should discuss these issues with the operating surgeon in detail. Get a good informed consent.

Second, your generalized questions/ concerns are very difficult to discuss because I or any of the answering docs have NEVER seen you or know your specific history.

Therefore, PLEASE get back to the operating surgeon and have ALL your questions answered. Then if you are still confused, ask a specific question.

Septoplasty, dorsal augmentation, and turbinate reduction complications

+2

In healthy patients operated on by either a Plastic surgeon or a Facial Plastic surgeon, the VAST majority of people do very well.

Your decision to have your surgery SHOULD BE based on knowing the potential complications before surgery AND accepting the fact that regardless of the skill of the surgeon bad things can and do happen. In the Case of the operations you discussed SOME can be : death, bleeding, infection, recurrent deviation of the septum, poor cosmetic result, septal perforation, among others.

I AM VERY concerned with your statement - "I am also on small amount of corticosteroids for my lupus. Will that affect the healing process? I have consent of my rhematologist and PCP". While having "the consent' (? clearance) of a Rhematologist and PCP may be assuring, it is merely meant to ward off potential lawsuits emanating from the fact they were NOT consulted before surgery.

As someone with Lupus AND taking corticosteroids your immune system is compromised. That means that your ability to fight infections is lower (which is significant depending on the source of the implant to augment your dorsum) AND your healing processes are compromised. You have MUCH HIGHER risks for poor healing and infection than the average healthy rhinoplasty patient regardless of what your (non surgical) rheumatologist and PCP may be telling you.

You need to carefully consider if these higher risks are acceptable to you.

Nasal surgery and common side effects

+1

As long as your rheumatologist has given you clearance to undergo rhinoplasty, then it is acceptable. Since it is surgery, there is always going to be a small amount of scar tissue. Septoplasty and turbinate reduction are done only to improve airflow dynamics through the nose. The dorsal augmentation is cosmetic and can be performed with synthetic implants or natural tissue such as cartilage from inside the nose. Typically, patient’s side effect after the surgery is the inability to breathe out of the nose for approximately a week after the procedure. Packing is now avoided and is not placed inside the nose.

Complications and risk of rhinoplasty surgery (nose job) turnbinates septum grafts

+1

If performed by an expereienced surgeon, the risk of complications should be low.

Depending on the technique of dorsal augmentation there are a variety of possible adverse outcomes. For example rib grafts can warp. However, I am assuming that the graft will be taken from the septum. This is an ideal material for the dorsum but may not provide sufficient.

The septum has its own unique set of potential complications including fistula, hematoma, persistent deflection and saddle nose deformity,

Turbinate resection similarly has unique complications such as over-resection with rhinitis sicca and/or bleeding and under-resection ith persistent sinusitis and/or allergic nasal congestion and/or obstruction.

It is best for you to discuss these with your rhinoplasty surgeon to have a full and complete understanding.