Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal on Pregnant Women?

I am six months pregnant and am wondering if there are any issues with my receiving Laser hair removal on my legs and some Laser treatments on my face.

The pregnancy books recommend against it despite any evidence to show it is bad. I'd really like to get it, but I don't want to harm my baby.

Safety first

+2

There is no evidence that we have found, by contacting safety consultants, that there is a risk to pregnant women or their fetus. However, it is difficult for anyone to make a definite claim. If the device is electromagnetically shielded, I am told, then it should be fine. The real issue is to avoid topical anesthetic cream as there is absorption of this cream and that might be a risk to the baby. Have your physician check with the laser company that they are intending to use, to see what their position statement is in terms of treating pregnant women.

No elective procedures while pregnant is the safest approach

+2

This is a question that often comes up - from which medications are safe in pregnancy to which types of cosmetic treatments would be ok.  Due to the fact that most of us err on the side of safety, most of these treatments have not been studied on pregnant women, so they are best avoided.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

No lasers treatments while pregnant

+2

We highly recommend having treatments when you are not pregnant. There are no real evidence to show that there are side effects but we would rather play it safe. You only have a few months to wait. Safety is always first.

Bruce E. Katz, MD