Septoplasty to Include Fixing Nose Hump?

I may have to have a Septoplasty but I also have a small dorsal hump that I want removed. I do not wish to change the shape of my nose, just to get the dorsal hump filed down in conjuction with my Septoplasty. Is that possible? Or will I have to possibly have further work done to my nose?

Septoplasty to include fixing nose hump

+2

It is possible to perform the procedure under the guidelines you mentioned. Before any surgery, it is important to communicate with your surgeon about what you would like to get out of the procedure. Only if necessary would anything additional be performed and that would be discussed prior with your consent. If the bone hump is reduced significantly, you will need osteotimies to close the open roof of the bones. Thank you very much for your message.

Dr. Nassif

Hump Reduction and Septoplasty Are Technically Possible Together

+2

Technically, you can perform both procedures together. As several of the surgeons pointed out, hump reduction may require additional procedures to prevent long term complications such as an open roof deformity. In your case, I would suggest that you may need dorsal augmentation rather than hump reduction. I would suggest visiting with a surgeon who can perform digital imaging and show you what both procedures would look like. It appears from the photo that you have provided that you have a low nasal take off. By removing the 'hump' of your nose, you would likely end up with a very flattened nose.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and hump reduction

+2

Septoplasty is a procedure that is purely designed to improve your nasal breathing. There is no change in the outside appearance of your nose. Rhinoplasty reshapes the outer portion of the nose. By reducing the bump on the bridge of your nose you are electing to have rhinoplasty. There are different types of rhinoplasty. If you only with to shave down the bump on the bridge of your nose and not have any other additional changes, please make sure to communicate this to your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump removal with septoplasty

+2

It is certainly technically posible to do a dorsal hump removal with a septoplasty but the hump removal would generally be considered cosmetic so you would need to work out any fee issues with your doctor. Also, your doctor will know that combining a hump removal with a removal of part of the septum can cause the bridge to collapse (sadle nose) if not enough dorsum is preserved for proper support.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Small Hump Of Nose Can Lead to Full Rhinoplasty

+1

Reducing a small hump from the nose sometimes leads to flattening of the dorsum which then requires lateral osteotomies to narrow it again. This means there is always a risk of doing a full rhinoplasty. Your hump appears little, leave it alone.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are you sure you want the hump removed?

+1

Septoplasty is a functional nasal procedure, while removal of a dorsal hump is considered cosmetic. You will need to make arrangements with your Surgeon from a planning and financial perspective to address both problems.

However, given the picture you have submitted, you have a relatively low radix (junction of the nose and forehead). Addressing the dorsal hump should be done, if at all, in a very conservative fashion. Aggressive hump removal would give your nose a very low starting point and may not be the best aesthetic plan for your nose. In fact, consideration should probably be given to augmenting the radix slightly.

Good luck!

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump can be improved with a septoplasty

+1

It is common to have aesthetic refinements performed at the time of a septoplasty. A slight hump on the nose can be filed down without anything being done to the tip of the nose. If the hump is large, however, the nasal bones may need to be moved slightly to prevent flattening of the bony part of the nose. If this is necessary it should not change the shape of your nose.

Hope this helps.

Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon