Would a Tummy Tuck Revision Improve Results?

Three months after my tummy tuck, I'm not happy. When I stand up it's fine, but if I sit down or bend over, the skin goes over my pants. Plus my belly button is horrible.

My dr (who is certified) says I look great, and if he re-does the tummy tuck it won't make any difference in my results. What do you think?

Is tummy tuck revision warranted?

+2

It's still too soon to tell whether you will derive any benefit from tummy tuck revision. Over the next several months, you will continue to experience some mild improvement in swelling and some mild tightening of the skin. Seeing how everything looks fine when you're standing upright, it's very possible that the appearance will continue to improve with bending. I'd also anticipate that the appearance of the scars will improve with the passage of time; most scars evolve from thick and red to pale and white over several months to 2 years after surgery.

If, 6 months or more after surgery, you're still unhappy with your appearance, it would be worthwhile to seek additional consultation, both with your surgeon and with another if you disagree with his assessment. Best of luck!

Swelling and Recovery Following Abdominoplasty

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to experience swelling in the immediate post-operative period.  For this reason it’s difficult to make decisions about revisional surgery until patients are at least six months post-op from their original procedures.  At that point swelling has usually resolved and soft tissue has softened and relaxed.

It’s important to be patient and allow adequate time for wound healing.  If you’re not satisfied with your surgeons advise a second opinion may be helpful.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

It can take 6 months or longer for all swelling and fullness to completely resolve, and of course much longer than that for scars to settle and fade.  I would suggest waiting that length of time before considering a revision. 

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty-surgery.html

Revision Tummy Tuck

+1

You are only 3 months post op surgery so I would ask that you give your body more time to heal, for the swelling to subside and the skin to re-drape properly.  It can take up to 6 months (sometimes more) to see the final results.  The scars improve with time and take 12-18 months to fully mature.  I normally ask patients to wait until after that time period for a scar revision.

Be patient and keep in close contact with your surgery and re-assess after that 6 month period.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

When to do tummy tuck revisions

+1

Hi Kellusa21 - After three months, your skin is still healing and you won't realize the final scars for 1 1/2 to 2 years. However, if you're unhappy about the excess skin it can be removed with a revision abdominoplasty. The recovery should be easier than the first surgery as it will involve less surgery.

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Three months after a tummy tuck?

+1

At three months after your abdominoplasty you are healing and recovering and i wouldn't consider a revision at this time. The belly button is still swollen and will almost certainly shrink more and look more natural with time. As well it is possible, depending on your natural (and unique) skin elasticity that the appearance of the lower abdominal skin will improve. That said, there may always be some slight fold or hang of skin when you bend over. Think of it from this perspective- some of the likely reasons that you desired an abdominoplasty include looseness of the skin and perhaps looseness of the abdominal wall or foundation of the abdomen. During surgery the abdominal wall can be tightened and skin removed. BUT the remaining skin still has the same quality and elasticity that it did prior to surgery. When we stand up straight the skin of the abdomen is stretched tight, when we bend over the elasticity of our skin is responsible for the contour or how the skin folds. In the photo provided it appears there are some stretch marks in the lower abdomen. Stretch marks are a sign of damage to the dermis, which is the strength/elastic layer of the skin. The quality or elasticity of the skin is not changed with surgery.