Scarless Tummy Tuck - How to Get One?

what is involved with a scarless tummy tuck? i recall local news talking about new scar free tummy tucks and forgot to write down the name of the doctor offering this procedure!

Scarless tummy tuck

+3

As my esteemed colleagues have pointed out, there is no scarless tummy tuck.

Tummy tucks remove extra skin (different amounts depending on the patient's requirements) and tighten the deep layer (the fascia). This cannot be done through scarless surgery or through levitation for that matter. The degree of incisions ranges from minimal (endoscopic tummy tuck or Hybrid tummy tuck (R)) to more major, depending on the amount of loose skin.

I do believe that there are in fact many fit women who have loose fascias and not a lot of loose skin. Often they are ex-model types who have large pubic to belly button distances. Their weight gain during pregnancy was minimal. They are often candidates for the Hybrid tummy tuck.

Many cream vendors call their products "tummy tucks in a jar"; some laser purveyors claim "tummy tuck results, or a scarless tummy tuck". However the degree of benefit of these methods is paltry compared to tummy tucks of any type.

The readers on this website are intelligent and will no doubt see through such claims.

So-Called "Scarless Tummy Tucks" are Bunk!

+1

A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure. So, by definition, a tummy tuck has to have a scar.

Non-surgical options for abdominal rejuvenation do exist. However, they are all more hype than substance. I have NEVER been impressed with the results of non-surgical body contouring.

You forgot to write down the name of the doctor who offers scarless tummy tucks. Good! He/she must be charlatan. Avoid, avoid!!

Find yourself a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to give you an honest consultation.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Scarless tummy tuck?

+1

I concur with my colleagues here. There is no such thing as a scarless tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck is a contouring procedure.  We must accept some degree of scar for better form in the tummy area.  Fortunately, the tummy scar is placed very low in your waist or bikini line.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Scarless tummy tuck?

+1

There is no such thing as a "scarless" tummy tuck. Any time the skin is cut, there is a scar left behind. Plastic surgeons are trained to hide scars as well as possible, but every surgery leaves a scar.

It is possible that what you heard described is an endoscopic repair of a rectus diastasis or separation of the abdominal muscles. This can be done with very small incisions in the belly button. But this procedure will not take out over stretched hanging skin. There is no way to remove skin without leaving a long scar. But the scar of a tummy tuck can heal very nicely and be hidden under a small bikini

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

If its scarless its not a tummy tuck

+1

Unfortunately you really need to do your homework these days. There are all sorts fo people, medical and nonmedical out there touting all sorts of cosmetic treatments. Even some board certified plastic surgeons are putting catchy names of old and new procedures to try to make it look like they have invented something new or have a new way of doing an old procedure. The consumer needs to be aware of what they are really signing up for. There is no scarless tummy tuck. There isn't even scarless liposuctioning that can lookmlioke a tummy tuck. All surgeries will leave some scars.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Scarless tummy tuck or emperor's new clothes?

+1

No doubt you are seeing a pattern in the responses to your inquiry about "scarless tummy tuck." There are a couple of things you may have seen in the news, relating to techniques to enhance skin tightening with liposuction. One of these is VASER ultrasound, for which a study was recently reported showing more skin tightening than lipo alone; another is laser-assited lipo (for example smart lipo) which also claims better skin tightening; and to top it off, I presneted some data at the Hot Topics session of the plastic surgeons national meeting last week showing that you can also do it with Thermage immediately after liposuction.

The problem with all of these is that none of them does as much as a tummy tuck, despite marketing claims. There are patients who have a little bit of skin laxity and some localized fat in the abdominal area who will benefit from one of these procedures, but if you truly need a tummy tuck then you are likely to be disappointed if you try something else.

Richard Baxter, MD

Scarless Tummy Tuck

+1

Always be aware that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The local news stations are the purveyors of a good bit of misinformation when it comes to medicine in general and plastic surgery in particular. There is not, to my knowledge, a scarless TT. A TT involves removal of excess skin which cannot be accomplished without a scar.

John Whitt, MD

Sscarless tummy tuck does not exist

+1

I suspect you could find the scarless tummy tuck on the same shelf as the scarless Facelift, the delicious fat free dessert, the perfect husband (or wife), The Tooth Fairy, Efficient Government and World Peace...

It does NOT exist.

In you are one of a very small group of people with only a rectus muscle separation but no or very minimal skin looseness, then a small operation in which the muscles are tightened though the belly button and pubic incisions (described years ago at Emory University, University of Alabama and from Brazil) MAY be for you. If you have any skin laxity you would do much better cosmetically with an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).

No such thing as a scarless tummy tuck

+1

Even a limited incision or an endoscopic tummy tuck has some scars so there is truly no "scarless" tummy tuck. The number of patients who need a tummy tuck because of muscle laxity but don't need any extra skin removed (here's where the scar comes from) is vanishingly small. You won't be happy with exrtra skin left behind in order not to have a scar.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS