Can Scar Tissue Hardening Get Worse Without Revision Breast Augmentation?

6 months post op, 1st BA. The left breast looks wonderful, but the right is still fairly high and harder. My surgeon says I have some scar tissue and he recommends removal of the tissue and helping it drop, or do nothing. I would also like to have gone bigger and he said it wouldn't be a big deal to increase size at the same time. All would be done at his office.

If I don't do a revision, can hardening get worse?

Firm single breast after implant augmentation surgery

+1

It sounds as if you may have an early capsular contracture. The natural history of these is unpredictable with some going on to severe hardening while others stabilize or even soften. Six montha after surgery is still too early to make a prediction and some would consider the use of Accolate or breast implant displacment exercises

Capsular contracture and breast implants

+1

Capsular contracture (hardened scar tissue) after breast augmentation can occur in about 10% of all patients. There are different degrees of capsular contracture, mild feeling firm to the touch, to severe where the breast implant is visible and the patient may experience pain. If you develop this hard scar tissue, it can be stable or it can become worse or harder with time. You don't necessarily have to have surgery unless you have pain or the cosmetic appearance of your breast is unacceptable to you. Some patients with mild scar tissue will choose not to have surgery. However, if you have noticeable asymmetry between the two breasts, you may consider proceeding with revision surgery. Keep in mind, the surgery itself to remove the scar tissue can potentially cause scar tissue formation again in the future.

Please discuss your surgical options with your plastic surgeon.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Contracture can worsen if not treated

+1

Without seeing you I can't tell the degree of the problem, but contracture can worsen without treatment. It might also stay the same. The progression of things over time is the most important predictor. I would follow this with your surgeon to help you decide what to do.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon