How Likely Scar Tissue Will Return After Breast Augmentation Revision?

6 months post op, 1st BA. The left breast looks wonderful, but the right is still fairly high and harder. My surgeon says I have some scar tissue and he recommends removal of the tissue and helping it drop, or do nothing.

How likely is it that the scar tissue would return if I have a revision?

Capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately, reoccurance of scar tissue around the implant may develop after revisionary surgery. There is no definite way to eliminate scar tissue from forming again. There are some preventative measures you can take to reduce the chances of it reoccuring. Aggressive massage will help prevent capsular contraction.

Scar tissue in breast

+1

A capsular contracture or scar tissue in the breast has a signficant chance of recurring.  With a high implant on one side, releasing the capsule inferiorly will be the best method to lower the implant.

Capsule contracture after augmentation can recur

+1

All breast implants will form a scar capsule around them, however in a small percentage of patients the capsule will tighten and the implant will round up and become firm. It is not uncommon to see the capsule form on only one side. Typically the implant will be soft and symmetric, and slowly during the first year or two the firmness will begin. It is unusual for an implant to start out that way, though it can happen. If the capsule is tight it can be released and opened in a procedures called capsulotomy. The implant will soften nicely though the recurrence rate of a firm capsule is 50%.

It may be possible that your implant was not placed symmetrically and if it was never soft and even with the opposite breast, reshaping and lowering the pocket may solve the problem as it was not a capsule contracture at all. I hope this is your situation as capsule contracture can be a recurring issue.

peterejohnsonmd

Recurrence rates for capsular contracture.

+1

It depends on the extent of the correction. Some surgeons recommend a capsulotomy whereas others recommend a capsulectomy. Some surgeons will use the same implant whereas others would advise a change. Recurrence rates vary anywhere from 20-80%.

Capsular contracture

+1

Decision for surgery is yours. If the breast becomes painful or noticeably higher then the other breast you may find you want the revision. Make sure you are massaging the harder breast as this may prevent further capsular contracture. Yes recurrence can occur but it is your only option when and if the breast becomes too painful.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Recurrence of capsular contractures

+1

It sounds like you have a capsular contracture, an excessive scar reaction around an implant.  Usually, at 6 months out from surgery, yours will not resolve without further surgery. Generally it doesn't recur afterward, but the possibility is there that it might.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS