Steroid Injections for Hard Lump Scar on the Forehead?

A year ago (July 2008), my head was lacerated while wakeboarding. It left a 2 cm scar on my forehead above my right eye. Since it has healed and the stitches were removed about a week after, I developed a hard lump under the scar that feels like it's down in the muscle. Would steroid injections be an option for me or some other type of scar revision? Or is it too late? Should I have taken more steps after the initial injury? I did use Mederma religiously and it has healed very smooth on the surface. I also occasionally used heat and ice mainly for the pain. Thank you!

Scar removal surgery for the forehead

+1

The lump can be scar tissue or a cyst or lipoma.  An examination will help one determine the difference.  I would advise scar removal surgery to improve the condition. 

Thickened scars can be treated even after a year

+1

Thickened scars can be treated even after a year. It looks like you have organized scar formation underneath the scar that may need to be surgical removed or debulked. This may still respond to steroid injections even after one year. I would recommend that you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area as there is treatment that would make it less noticeable.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon