Scar Revision for 7-inch Scar from Car Accident?

I have about a 7-inch scar on the underside of my forearm, do you think I would benefit from scar revision? It is from a car accident Aug. 2009. This picture is with the stitches in it.

Scar managment after closure

+2

Scar revisions should not be attempted until at least 12 months since injury.

During the erly healing phase silastic gel products have been found helpfull in remodeling. Sometimes injectable steroid is helpfull in younger patients between 5-8 weeks if the scar is overactive in its collagen deposition. Deramabrasion of Laser ablative treatments can be helpfull at 4-8 months. There are variety of technologies that are helpfull in obtaining abetter result but none of them erase the scar.

Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treat scar now for best results

+2

Surgical scar revision would definitely not be indicated for quite a while after surgery - 12 months or longer; however, studies have shown that early treatment of scars with the pusled dye laser can improve healing and reduce scarring. A series of treatments with the pulsed dye laser (such as the Vbeam laser) can reduce redness, improve scar texture and pliability and decrease scar thickness. These treatments are easily performed, have no downtime and typically cost $175 - 350 per session. Many of these aspects will improve with time, but this healing process, which can take up to 18 months, is enhanced with the Vbeam treatments.

There are some new studies emerging that show the benefit of fractional laser treatment in the early stages of scarring.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Timing for scar revision for 7-inch scar from car accident

+2

Dear Gigi,

I would not even contemplate doing anything for at least 6-8 months until your scar is mature and soft. If you look carefully at this scar, it demonstrates several areas where the skin struggled to live and just barely made it (the bottom part of the scar - bluish area on the left of the scar AND the underside purplish island under the inverted "J" of the scar.

When the scar is mature, any revision, if needed, will get you a better result.

Now is NOT the time.

SCar revision after car accident

+2

This is very early in your postoperative course and it is difficult to tell what it might look like now. Some surgeons prefer to perform a dermabrasion 6-8 weeks after injury buit this varies in each case.

Scar revision

+1

Scar revision assessment should wait at least a year after the initial repair, and sometimes longer. This may end up healing better than you think.

Scar revision is not scar removal

+1

Your scar needs at least a year of healing to determine if a scar revision might be useful. Remember that the goal is to make the scar less noticeable, not gone. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS