Scar Revision for a 6 Year Old?

Hi everyone. My 6 year old son had to get 3 stitches about 6 months ago near his cheek bone area. It is still pink and everytime he squints his eyes it looks very deep the scar.

I'm wondering how long will it be pink for? Also I have been using mederma everyday and put sunscreen on it every single day. What else can I do? Is scar revision an option? Please any help would be appreciated. I just feel so bad for him.

Scar revision for a 6 year old

+1

Scars mature for 8-10 months. Like watching dies roll, there is no point in stopping them or doing anything surgical unless the final result is poor and the likelihood of a nicer scar is much better.

The pinkness is often a response by the immature skin to sun / UV rays. Had you used a broad spectrum sun block the amount of pink / red would probably been less.

I think gentle scar massage would soften the scar but I would do nothing until the area was soft. At that time, IF NEEDED, you could consult a Plastic surgeon and see what he suggested.

A frequent contributor to this website, Dr. Rand, is great Plastic surgeon in Seattle and I am sure he could advise you in this regard.

Scar Revision

+1

Navy Wife!

Typically scars heal over the course of a full year...however, sometimes if the there are issues with healing, they need to be revised earlier. A red scar is still in the remodeling phase (redness is from open blood vessels and inflammatory tissue working hard to complete healing).

I actually like a combination of approaches including a topical silicone (either gel sheet with adhesive that you can purchase at a local drug store or a solution like ScarGuard which has both silicone and Vit E), sunscreen as you are doing as well as gentle massage with Vit E.

If the muscle under the scar was not suture together it may dimple and needs to be repaired, probably sooner rather than later.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD