Saline Vs Silicone Breast Implants for a More Natural Look?

I'm getting Breast Augmentation in 2 months. I had originally decided on a 320cc silicone implant, but now feel safer going with saline.I contacted my plastic surgeon and it was clear she was trying to dissuade me from going this route. She believes I will be much happier with the look of silicone and stated that she rarely does a saline implant anymore, as almost all of her patients request silicone. Please help me make heads or tails with this decision I need to make. Can a saline implant give a comparable natural look?

Silicone versus saline implants

+3

Some of the reasons for visible rippling, which tend to be higher with saline implants include:

1. thin skin and minimal breast tissue with visibility of normal folds
2. moderate profile saline implants are more likely to ripple than high profile saline
3. saline are more likely to ripple than silicone implants
4. over the muscle placement are more likely ot have visible rippling than under the muscle
5. weight loss may make rippling more noticeable
6. involutional breast atrophy after nursing may make rippling more apparent
7. breast ptosis (sag) may make rippling more pronounced
8. capsular contracture with "scrunching" of implant causing folds
9. textured surface causing folds and knuckles
10. partial deflation of implant with collapse and folding
11. underfilling of implant
12. flipping of implant

Saline and silicone breast implants will look the same

+3

There has been a general push toward the silicone gel breast implant and a feeling that patients will be 'happier' with the gel. The bare truth is that both work very well and I defy anyone to show a picture of a well performed breast augmentation and be able to tell if the implant is indeed gel or saline. Both will look very natural. The next issue is feel. It is true that the saline breast implant will have a greater tendency to show through a ripple, especially in thin skin, however in place in the breast the saline implant is soft and compressible and has a flow characteristic that makes it satisfactory and natural in most who seek augmentation with an under the muscle approach. The gel implant may feel softer, though it may not. The more cohesive the gel, the stiffer the implant. The extreme is the 'gummy bear' implant where the implant is form stable which flexes or compresses and then resumes its shape. It can look wonderful, though 'natural' it is not. Remember that with each implant there are trade offs, some more acceptable to a patient than others. Take your time to explore, and resist a push to one implant over another until you understand what your choice will mean in the long term.

peterejohnsonmd

The "look" of saline vs gel implants

+3

If you looked at 10 patients with breast implants, half with gel and half saline, you would not be able to tell them apart based on the "look." Each look fine. The only difference is in the "feel." If a saline patient leans way forward, you can typically feel or sometimes even see ripples along the lower outside edge of the implant. If that wouldn't bother you and if you feel "safer" with the saline, go with them! Make sure they are under the muscle.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Go for Silicone Breast Implants for a more natural look

+2

If it is a close choice for you, go with SILICONE.

Yes, great results have been achieved with both saline and gel implants.

The advantages of saline are lower cost, ability to be placed through a smaller incision and by being able to put more or less saline in - we can correct minor asymmetries.

The advantages of gel implants are, they are lighter, they ripple less and they feel much more like the real breast tissue.

Good luck.

Results can be good for both saline and silicone breast implants

+2

Good results can be had with both. To a large extent the decision of one versus the other depends on the patient's natural breast/chest anatomy. The thin patient with minimal tissue would often do better with the silicone implant in terms of ripples, and a natural feel. Otherwise, saline is acceptable.

Safety is not really a consideration as I feel both are "safe". Deflation is a possibility, and the saline implants go flat. The silicone implant, more involved and hence the need for MRI analysis. Not really a safety issue, but a consideration. All things being equal, go with what you are comfortable with.

Michael A. Marschall, MD

Your plastic surgeon is giving you good advice, Silicone gel over saline breast implants

+2

While almost all patients are happy with saline implants, I feel secure in telling you that silicone gel implants look and feel better and more natural. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Natural looking results

+1
Factors such as technique, placement and implant type all contribute to how real implants look and feel, and these factors are all determined by a patient's unique physiology and expectations. However, in general, when it comes to implants cohesive silicone gel are considered to look and feel more natural.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

More natural look

+1
Benefits of Cohesive Gel Silicone Breast Implants:
  • Feels much more natural, like a real breast
  • Much less rippling, wrinkling than saline
  • For the same size, silicone weighs slightly less than saline
  • Limitations of Cohesive Gel Silicone Breast Implants:
  • A larger incision is necessary, usually placed under the breast because the implants are pre-filled. Smaller sizes can be placed via a trans-axillary incision
  • Although it is a cohesive gel, there is a very small possibility the silicone could leak into the breast tissue, although long term population studies have shown this does not cause any heath risks. Incidence of leakage is approximately 1% per year or less
  • Slightly higher risk of Capsular Contracture than with saline
Benefits of Saline Implants:
  • Can be inserted through smaller incisions, and incisions away from the breasts such as Transumbilically (belly button) or Transaxillary (armpit)
  • If it leaks, your body absorbs the saline. Incidence of leakage is approximately 1% per year or less
  • Can make adjustments for asymmetry by adding more fluid to one implant
You should talk to your surgeon to figure out which one is better for you.  Both can achieve a natural look - it just depends on the skill of your surgeon!

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Saline Vs Silicone Breast Implants for a More Natural Look

+1
Each surgeon has different preferences regarding breast implants based on experience and expertise. We perform a large number of both saline and gel implants. The look between the two implants are extremely comparable. Gel implants do feel more natural. There are other strengths and weaknesses between the two implants.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Saline vs. Silicone Breast Implants- Does it matter?

+1
When dressed in clothing and looking at patient postoperative photographs, it is difficult to distinguish between saline and silicone. Patients with adequate natural breast volume and good skin quality, both implants may give natural results. The volume or size of the implant plays a greater role in the “more natural look” with smaller implants looking more natural than large implants. I believe the patient should determine the ultimate implant type- saline or silicone after reviewing the best options for them.

Michelle Zweifler, MD