Saline Breast Implants Safe for Microcalcifications and Mammogram?

I am 42 years old and was told when I wa 39 that I have microcalcifications in both breasts. I have annual mammograms and there is no change in my tissue. I'm considering saline breast augmentation. Should I be concerned about microcalcifications and visibilty on mammograms with saline implants?

Breast Implants, Microcalcifications and Mammograms

+1
Microcalcifications and benign lumps are not a contraindication for breast augmentation if not cancerous. I would recommend placing the breast implant in a submuscular position so that examination and mammograms can continue to monitor your breast lumps including having one pre-operatively for a baseline. I would also recommend using a inferior mammary incision to minimize scarring of the breast tissue. 

Web reference: http://drnichter.com/silicone-implants-toxic/

Implants and microcalcifications

+1

Saline implants usually do not impact mammograms as much as silicone implants. Of course not having an implant will always give a clearer image.  The best way to look at microcalcifications is by obtaining an MRI.

Saline Implants Microcalcifications and visibilty on mammograms

+1

While the MRI is a MUCH better tool to detect breast pathology, the mammogram has been the standard in breast surveillance.

If you want to have a 100% unobstructed / unaletered view of your breasts and potential worrisome areas, you should not have any breast implants placed (and especially do not consider fat grafting to the breasts which INCREASES microcalcifications). Saline implants are largely transparent to the radiation of mammograms and with special displacement (EKLUND) views, especially with the implants placed under the muscle, much of the augmented breast is examinable with mammograms. But it is never 100%.

You need to decide if the risk is worth it.

Microcalcifications and breast augmentation

+1

All breast implants will block some of the mammogram beams and therefor can miss areas of the breast. Certain techniques are used to visualize as much of the breast tissue as possible. Regardless of having calcifications or not that is the case. This is the information but only you can decide if you will or will not have implants based on this information.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and mammograms

+1

Depending on the relative proportion of your breast to implant size, it may be more difficult to visualize anywhere from 5-15% of the breast tissue on a mammogram. This can be lowered by placing the implant under the muscle. Some