How Safe is Smart Lipo on Multiple Body Areas?

I know that Liposuction risks are increased. If you have multiple areas done at one time, if I am having Smart Lipo/Vaser Lipo surgery on my upper/lower abdomen and flanks and back does that constitute as too many areas at one time or is that ok?

How many areas are safe?

+1

Thank you for your question.  This is a common concern that I've heard expressed by my patients, the majority of which have multiple treatment areas for their Smart Lipo procedure.  The areas you mentioned are actually some of the most common treatment areas.  For me, I typically treat these areas in one sitting when using tumescent liposuction.  If there are additional areas being treated, I may choose to break it up into two sittings.  However, if a patient chooses to have this performed under general anesthesia, the number of areas treated can be increased.  If you are concerned, I recommend that you speak with your doctor.   

This can be a safe procedure

+1

Multiple sites are not necessarily a problem. The areas you mentioned are often done in the same treatment for the average patient. The risks you mention only become a problem when there are very large volumes of fat removed or laser-liposuctioned. Studies have shown that these risks are increased when performing liposuction under general anesthesia as apposed to local tumescent anesthesia with light oral sedation.

You need to consult with an experienced liposuction surgeon who can assess your areas and the amount of fat required to remove in order to provide you with a safe recommendation for treatment.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.