Is Restylane After Fat Transfer Safe?

I had Fat Transfer by my Plastic Surgeon for under eye hollows 12 weeks ago and finally after the swelling went down, I'm satisfied w/ results but still have some hollowness.

I consulted w/ an Oculoplastic Surgeon & he recommended Restylane under eyes. I am 50 yrs. old. Is it safe to have this done 12 wks. after Fat transfer?

Restylane after Fat Transfer

+1
Dear Joan, Nice to hear from Baton Rouge as I am an LSU graduate and how about those Tigers this year! To answer your question yes you may use Restylane or Juvederm to treat the under eye area after fat transfer. I would possibly give it a few more weeks as all of the swelling may not have dissipated from the transfer procedure. Best regards!

Restylane after fat transfer

+1

Using a hyaluronidase product after fat injection to the lower lid region is perfectly fine after you have waited enough time to see that the swelling from the fat injections have gone away.

Restylane and fat transfer

+1

To my knowledge , using Restylane after receiving fat transplant is not problematic as long as the "trauma" and "volume" from the injection of restylane does not directly affect the placement of fat. However, I am not a big advocate of restylane under the eyelids unless it is performed by only the most experienced in this area. There is a risk of significant lumpiness and bumpiness in this thin skin area and critical to the placement is the expertise to understand the location of the filler in this area.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat Transfer and Restylane

+1

The under the eye hollow can be addressed with fat transfer as well as filler injections like restylane.

There should not be any issues with injecting restylane in the area where you had fat transfer but ideally I would wait about 6 months after your fat transfer to see the results. 

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Filler to lower lid hollows after fat transfer

+1

Using restylane or other fillers to touch up the lower eyelid hollow is not a problem after a fat transfer.  Fat transfer takes some time to stabilize, so a filler under the eye can help during this transition. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely safe to have Restylane after fat transfer

+1

Dear Joan,

There is absolutely no risk of having Restylane at this point. Actually, the Restylane is a much better way of filling the lower eyelid than having fat transfer. The fat can lump, can't be adjusted, and many people are disappointed with fat grating because of the relative lack of long term results.

It is essential that you go to someone who knows what they are doing around the eyes. An oculoplastic surgeon is the right choice. However, it is advisable to see someone who does a lot of facial fillers and noninvasive treatments. In Baton Rouge, you might consider Jane Olson, M.D. She is a leading injector and has a national reputation for excellence.

Restylane After Fat Transfer

+1

Hi Joan,

It takes about 5 to 6 months for everything to settle after fat transfer. The correction that you have at that time will be from living fat tissue and will likely be permanent.

You may have Restylane placed 12 weeks after your fat transfer without problem, but clear this with your fat transfer physician first.

Enjoy.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD