Will Fixing Upturned Nose Cause It to Rotate More?

I think my nose is too upturned, and having a weak chin doesn't help that appearance. Should I look into getting my nose de-rotated through Rhinoplasty? I've read that sometimes trying to correct an upturned nose can cause it to rotate even more.

Fixing an over rotated nasal tip

+2

Nasal tip de-rotation is technically more challenging than tip rotation. However, experienced rhinoplasty surgeons should be able to accomplish the task without worsening the problem. Consult with two or more local rhinoplasty surgeons. You should look at some actual patient results to reassure yourself.

Noses can certainly be "de-rotated" by rhinoplasty

+2

Lowering the nasal tip or de-rotation is more difficult to perform than raising the tip. However, in the hands of an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon, it can predictably be accomplished and the results very rewarding. It requires the use of grafts of your own cartilage to create structure and add length for your nose. So, please seek out a rhinoplasty expert to get your best result.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

De-rotating an upturned nose

+1

There are different techniques that can be performed during a rhinoplasty procedure such as cartilage grafting, which can de-rotate the nose. There are other options such as a chin implant that can improve the nasal chin aesthetics for better facial balance. The nose does not have to be rotated just because a rhinoplasty is being performed.

See a rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

If your nose needs derotation it can be done , but see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you his examples of this in photos or live patients.

Correcting an Upturned Nose

+1

Correcting an upturned nose with rhinoplasty is possible, but it is a technically challenging type of rhinoplasty and you should seek an experience surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to ensure that you get the best possible results. Usually, cartialge grafts are need to support the framework to prevent the nose from turning upwards after surgery.

To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Derotation of the nasal tip

+1

I can't tell from your photo exactly what the tip position is since the lateral view is best for this. Also your bridge looks quite narrow - have you had a previous rhinoplasty possibly? Seek consultation with a plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist with significant rhinoplasty experience to sort out your options.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

ZZ tip

+1

ZZ,

The photograph is not really adequate to fully your nose. However, if your tip needs derotation, it can be performed by lengthening the nose with cartilage grafting from your nasal septum or ear. See your board certified plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist for a consultation to determine your options. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Your nose rotation can be controlled in rhinoplasty.

+1

The amount of nasal tip rotation can be controlled during surgery. The tip can be brought down by changes to the nose cartilage or by adding cartilage grafts. Your surgeon should be able to show you before the surgery by computer simulation where your nose tip can be placed so that you can decide in advance of the surgery.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Derotating the nasal tip

+1

Yes, if the tip of the nose is overly rotated or turned up, there are techniques which can de-rotate the tip and bring it back down. 

Rhinoplasty, De-rotating an Upturned Nose

+1

Hi ZZ,

One of the most difficult manuevers in rhinoplasty is de-rotating the tip.  When performed properly, the tip will not be more rotated. 

This usually involves the use of cartilage grafts including septal extension and spreader grafts.

Choose an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD