Can a Subtle Rhinoplasty Correct Wide Nose Bump?

Would I be a good candidate for a subtle rhinoplasty procedure? The bridge of my nose has bump that's kinda wide so it makes my whole lose look really wide (left photo). My nose looked normal until I was about 16 years old a few years ago.

I was wondering if there was someway to fix this without doing something really drastic. I'm kinda afraid of open rhinoplasty to be honest. I live in Pennsylvania. Thanks for your help.

Subtle rhinoplasty

+2

I believe you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. I think that you are like the majority of my patients in that they would like their noses to not be the focal point of their facial features. I think that lowering the hump would only partially address your concerns. You would probably appreciate narrowing your dorsum at the same time. These do not have to be dramatic changes and in the hands of a good surgeon, should look entirely natural.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can correct wide nose bump.

+1

The bump on your nose is rather large compared to your other facial features, and can be shaved down. Once the bump is shaved down, osteotomies need to be performed to narrow the bridge and prevent an open roof or a square top nose deformity. This can all be done through a closed rhinoplasty where all the incisions placed on the internal portion of the nose.

Subtle Rhinoplasty

+1

A good rhinoplasty should be subtle. It is not a compliment if a stranger can see that you've had nasal surgery. Certainly this can be accomplished with the closed technique.

Rhinoplasty: Small Changes Can Have a Dramatic Effect

+1

Rhinoplasty can have either a dramatic effect or a subtle effect on the appearance of the nose depending on what techniques are used and depending on the patient's preference. It is possible to remove a hump and narrow a wide bridge without having to change other features of the nose.

The best rhinoplasty is one which produces a nose that both looks good and functions well. When performed correctly, other people should not be able to tell that your nose has been operated on, but rather they should that it looks natural.

How do you know whether an open or closed approach is "best" for you? While you may have a preference for one or the other, your surgeon will recommend the approach that he or she feels is most appropriate, and the surgical technique employed depends primarily on the goals established by you and your surgeon. Some surgeons perform exclusively closed rhinoplasty while others prefer open rhinoplasty. There are surgeons who perform both types of rhinoplasty depending on the patient's needs.

The best way for patient to gain a better understanding of how their nose might look is to visit with a surgeon who uses computer imaging to set the goals for surgery. Recently, 3D rhinoplasty imaging has become available which allows patients to compare their preop picture with a simulated postop picture and look at them from any angle to see how surgery might change their overall appearance. Gaining a better understanding of what the result would look like before undergoing surgery can help make that decision.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose hump removal

+1

It is possible to perform a hump removal with a closed rhinoplasty procedure. However, if it were necessary to do tip work, I prefer to perform an open procedure as it allows me to obtain better results. Osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) may be performed through a closed rhinoplasty procedure as well. Bruising after the procedure will last about two weeks. Hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Formal Open Rhinoplasty in Pennsylvania

+1

You do not appear to be a candidate for a subtle rhinoplasty based on your pictures.  I would suggest scheduling a consultation for a standard open rhinoplasty.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I don't believe that you can get good results by from a subtle rhinoplasty. Your nose is large and the nasal bones appear heavy. Also, the tip of your nose droops downward.

In order to correct this the cartilage and bone of your bridge must be shaved down. Then the nasal bones brought together so you don't end up with a "open roof deformity'. The tip of your nose needs to be set and rotated slightly.

As you can see this requires more than just a subtle rhinoplasty. As far as open vs closed technique -- they both have same risks. An open rhinoplasty give the surgeon a better view of what needs to be done. However, whatever technique your surgeon feels more comfortable with that's the one you should go with.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nasal hump reduction via surgical (rhinoplasty) and non surgical (injectable)approaches

+1

Linux

I think you are looking for what most patients want in rhinoplasty-- subtle natural results. Having surgery whether it is through an open or closed approach doesn't mean that your results have to drastic and over done. Ideally, I would recommend that the bump be surgically removed and the width of your nose narrowed. There would be no need to alter the tip of your nose. I think it is equally important to discuss supporting the nose after hump reduction. I typically place cartilage grafts, called spreader grafts, after a large hump is reduced to prevent the nose from caving in years later. This would not result in any less of a subtle look. It would create a stable result for years to come.

What about injectable rhinoplasty? For some, filling in the bridge of the nose with fillers such as Radiesse can camouflage a hump. Candidates are those with too low of a bridge either in front (supra tip region) or behind (nasion) of the nose. In your case, the nasion (closest part near brows) is slightly depressed inward. By filling this area out with Radiesse, the hump would be less prominent. It would not alter the width of your nose. This may be a good way to begin if you have concerns about surgery. It will give you a taste of what can be accomplished surgically.

I have many patients who travel from out of state for their rhinoplasty surgery. I find an e-consult helpful. We have our patients email their photos. During the consult, patients are logged into our computer remotely and video imaging changes are performed to the photos. You can see what can be accomplished and if it is esthetically pleasing to you.

Good luck!

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subtle Rhinoplasty

+1

I am not sure what exactly is mean by subtle. You have a lot of issues that need to be addressed so you have a nice result. You have a wide dorsum, a hump and a wide tip as well.

All these need to be addressed during your rhinoplasty procedure. Will it be subtle or not I dont know because subtle is such a subjective term. If you want all these issues addressed you will have a nice result and a nice change.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Nothing has to be drastic. A good rhinoplasty can look very natural.  Taking down a bump and narrowing the nose is possible.  The lower 1/3 also looks a bit wide and that can be treated as well.