Can Sniffing, Sleep Movement or Straining Affect Rhinoplasty Results?

I've just had rhinoplasty three days ago. While sleeping I've tapped my nose by swatting it and also have flinched during sleep and felt it pull my nose. I've also have been straining when I go to the bathroom to pass stool. Will this affect the healing/development of my nose adversely? Additionally, will sniffling pretty hard through a stuffed nose affect my nose adversely?

Post operative sniffing will not affect shape of the nose

+1

Sniffing hard will not affect the shape of the nose. Straining at the stool will not affect the shape of your nose. It may cause a nosebleed, however. The important take-home message is that it is best not to touch your cast or nose for the first couple of weeks after the surgery.

Three days after Rhinoplasty

+1

Congratulations on your rhinoplasty! Now that the surgery is over, the healing has begun. To aid in the healing process, follow your surgeon's post-op instructions carefully. Usually, this means no bending, straining, lifting, or nose blowing. Sniffing excessively against a congested nose can increase internal swelling and also should be avoided. At night, there isn't much you can do, but rest assured that if you strike your nose with enough force it will hurt and wake you up. A little tugging probably won't make much difference, so don't stress.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

Sniffing a lot after rhinoplasty is normal,  especially only 3 days after surgery. Although all of the things mentioned may increase swelling a little, they are unlikely to cause any real changes or effects to your healing and final result.

John Diaz, MD

Sniffing is definitely a problem

+1

Sniffing a lot after surgery can create more swelling inside the nose and result in a more miserable and longer term post-op course!  The other issues are not as important.  Good luck.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon