Can Rhinoplasty Give Me the Refinement and Tip Projection I Want?

I would like to achieve the following from rhinoplasty. The current picture is on the left and the desired result is on the right. Is it possible?

Asian rhinoplasty and tip projection

+3

You have done a very appropriate job on your computer imaging. Not only do I feel that you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty based on your original nasal appearance, but, you have shown through your morphed image exactly what your ideal nose should look like. The changed nose that you have provided is entirely within reason in the hands of a good surgeon and the fact that you have provided the outcome should make the surgeon comfortable that you clearly know what you want and your expectations are entirely reasonable.

Good luck! You will be a very happy patient.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Augmention Rhinoplasty

+2

This is absolutely possible. To maintain the projection in your nose the surgeon has to re-support your tip with a strut graft. For augmentation, there are many material available including your own cartilage.

My preference is a custom carved silastic implant, each surgeon will have his/her own preference.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Augmentation rhinoplasty should give you the results you want

+2

As other have said, great job with photoshop - it makes your desired result very apparent. You demonstrate 2 basic things with your desired post-op photo; augmentation of the dorsum (bridge) and increased projection of the nasal tip. It's very possible to do this with an open rhinoplasty and utilization of cartilage grafts.

Your best bet is consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Realistic Changes Changes in the Nose can usually be Realized

+2

Might I start off by saying that your computer imaging skills are very good.

That being said, the changes you are seeking are very attainable. As the other physicians pointed out, this is an augementation rhinoplasty approach (building up the nose). Cartilage grafts would be my choice for you. They can be taken from either the septum or one of the ears. I prefer this over silicone or goretex, as it has a lower complication profile. A graft on the bridge and another on the tip (probably an extended columellar-tip graft) would provide the changes you are seeking.

Good luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Asian patient

+2

What you are depicting here is a fairly typical Asian and sometimes African American rhinoplasty. For these patients we usually augment the dorsum, meaning increase your bridge projection, using cartilage, Goretex, or silicone grafting. To Increase tip projection and definition, we use further grafting, usually with the same choice of materials. Your results and expectations are very realistic. Make sure you find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does ethnic rhinoplasty well, and look through the before and after to make sure you like the results.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Likely fixable with rhinoplasty

+2

Although I don't have the hesitation that some of my colleagues may have with injectable fillers, the nose you've shown here would probably be better served with a proper surgical open-structure rhinoplasty.

I am not a big fan of silastic in the nose, but it has been better tolerated in patients of Asian descent than those of other backgrounds. Augmentation of the dorsum (the bridge) and the tip with cartilage grafts from the patient's own cartilage usually provides the best and safest long-term results.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty on Asian patients can yield excellent results

+2

You basically did what I and many rhinoplasty surgeons do during a consultation; computer imaging. No two patients are alike, nor can people always be categorized into groups like "Asian rhinoplasty." However you demonstrated what is a general principal of Asian Rhinoplasty: to increase tip definition and projection. Projection is how far the tip sticks out from the face. This is accomplished by using grafts of your own cartilage to strengthen the tip of your nose. Often we also add to the bridge of the nose so there is a little more separation between the eyes. This should be done conservatively to retain an ethnic look.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty and dorsal augmentation

+2

Excellent job with the photo!

I believe the correction you are depicting can be achieved. However, you certainly will get different opinions on how to do it and it is difficult to say what is the best.

Options for you include"

1. rhinoplasty (open or closed) with:
    1. fillers
    2. autogenous cartilage (septum, ear or rib)
    3. autogenous bone (skull or hip)
    4. implants (silicone, gortex, medpor, etc)
    5. Other miscellaneous techniques

Your best bet is to meet with a qualified surgeon to discuss the proper choice for you.

Asian rhinoplasty

+2

When it comes to Asian rhinoplasty, increasing tip projecting with cartilage grafting is possible and your photo on the right is realistic. When it comes to refinement of the tip, this would have to be evaluated with a front view.

Typically, refinement is more limited as there is typically very little cartilage to reduce in order to create a more refined tip. In addition, due to thicker skin, the changes that are made are not usually visible through the thicker skin envelope. By elevating the tip, and making the nostrils smaller, can usually provide more tip refinement but not the same degree as someone with thinner skin type.

Make sure you select a surgeon that has experience in ethnic and or Asian rhinoplasty.

Good luck!

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for refinement and tip projection

+1

Yes, according to the pictures, it is possible to build the desired nasal bridge shown in your photo. The type of implant that we use for this type of augmentation is a synthetic implant made of Silastic plastic called the Flowers nasal dorsal implant manufactured by Implantech. This is placed along the nasal bridge to augment the nose during the rhinoplasty procedure under general anesthesia in our outpatient surgery center.