Rhinoplasty Without Changing Bone Structure?

I am looking at getting Rhinoplasty surgery on my nose. I don't want to do anything to the bone structure. I am looking to get the tip thinned and and tip of the nose brought down slightly so that it is parallel with the rest of the nose from a side view. Is this possible?

Rhinoplasty to change tip not bone structure

+1

If the nasal bones have are in balance then it is possible to perform a rhinoplasty without changing the bone structure. The nasal tip can certainly be thinned and brought down to create balance with the remainder of the nose. This is called a tip plasty.

Rhinoplasty Can Alter Tip Without Boney Work

+1

It is possible to reshape the tip with rhinoplasty without altering other parts of the nose. However, it is important to know that in order for the nose to appear natural it must adhere to certain proportions. Sometimes it is necessary to make some minor adjustments to the bridge / boney framework to keep the nose from looking "operated on". This is something that needs to be addressed on an individual basis.

To get a better understanding of what your nose might look like after surgery, your prospective rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to show you before and after computer simulations. Many rhinoplasty surgeons use computer imaging, and recently 3D rhinoplasty imaging has become available.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you should see a rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

The surgeon should do the type of nose the patient wants as long as it looks natural. I have left 1/2 of a bump, done only the tip, narrowed only the nostrils, etc.

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty Without Changing Bone Structure

+1

Hi Tippy,

It is possible to correct the tip only and achieve a nice result. On the other hand, it is possible to treat your tip only and end up with a "FLN", funny lookin' nose.

Consult with a few rhinoplasty experts. Let them know your concerns, and what result you would ultimately be satisfied with. Then listen to their advice, and whether they believe that your goals can be achieved without any bone alterations.

Here's my last "tip" to you, choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Why no change to the nasal bones?

+1

I'm curious why you don't want to change the bony structure of the nose. Is it because you like the appearance of the bony part of the nose? Or is it because you're concerned about some issue regarding this aspect of rhinoplasty?

If it's because the bony part of the nose is perfectly fine, then your surgeon will likely agree with you. Not all rhinoplasties require bony changes. If it's because you're worried about some aspect of the bone work, address these with your surgeon to see whether these concerns can be allayed.

It would be a shame to avoid important work on the bones (if indicated) and thereby compromise the final aesthetic result. A frank discussion with your surgeon should touch on these points.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, it should be tailored for each patient

+1

It sounds like your only concern is the tip of your nose. Tip-plasty can certainly be performed without altering the nasal bones. However, you should seek out a rhinoplasty expert to get the best advice. Often patients don't see how their noses are really balanced. Changing the tip of your nose might make the rest of the nose look out of proportion, but then again you might be someone who just needs a tip-plasty. I also like computer imaging to help visualize what will happen from changing just the tip of the nose with and without the "bones,"

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty to Alter Tip without Changing Bone

+1

Yes.

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but rather many operations. Each patient has specific anatomy and requests. Bump on the bridge of the nose is the most common request for rhinoplasty, followed by reducing a wide or bulbous nasal tip. The tip of the nose may be operated on without changing the bridge or nasal bones.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation of both the external and internal nose can a plastic surgeon determine which rhinoplasty procedure is most appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon