Procedure and Incision Type to Fix Wide Nostrils?

My nostrils are too wide but I wonder if fixing them will wreck the tip of my nose. Which procedure and incision type would be best used to fix my nostrils and/or nose? My bridge is straight. It's more the lower 1/3 part of my nose I have a problem with. Thank you.

Wide nostril correction

+2

The procedure to correct this is called a Weir Resection. The scar hides in the crease of your nose and a narrowing can occur. You usually judge if the nostrils are too wide by droping a line down form the inner eye lid. If the nostrils extend lateral to this line, you technically are a good candidate. The final choice though is how you and your doctor feel about the look on your face.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Reduction Surgery Can Correct Flaring / Wide Nostrils

+2

Nostril reduction surgery (called Alarplasty / Alar Base Reduction) is a procedure that can narrow the width of the nostril base, decrease the amount of nostril flaring, or decrease the size of the nostrils.

To accomplish this, the surgeon makes an incision in the crease where the nostril wall meets the cheek. A wedge shaped piece of nostril wall is removed, and when the incision is sewn closed, the nostril narrowing is acheived.

It is possible to perform this procedure alone or as part of a rhinoplasty. It can be performed alone, but keep in mind that in order for the nose to appear natural, it must adhere to certain proportions and also be in balance with the other facial features.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar wedges to decrease nostril size

+2

Alar wedge excision is the usual procedure to decrease nostril size.  This involves a carefully designed excision at the junction of the nose and cheek to decrease width of the nostril.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Alarplasty for wide nostrils

+1

Flaring nostrils can be reduced through an alarplasty incision. The incision is typically either at the floor of the nose in the sill or on the actual lobular component of the alar lobule. The thickness of the lobule cannot be reduced since it is fibro-fatty tissue, not cartilage.