How Much Improvement Can Be Expected from Rhinoplasty?

I can go for a rhinoplasty as well. How much improvement can I hope for? Which doctors can give me such result?

Expectations for improvements in rhinoplasty

+5
Rhinoplasty can provide dramatic facial aesthetic improvements. The reason rhinoplasty can make such a change is because the nose is the most central and most projecting feature of your face.  On the other hand, most patients undergoing rhinoplasty often say that friends and family who were unknowing of the rhinoplasty either did not notice the change (because the friends/family never noticed the nose in the first place),  or these patients tended to received compliments on their overall appearance, makeup, or hair (without anyone mentioning the nose).  
When looking for a rhinoplasty surgeon, research well and find a surgeon who has extensive rhinoplasty experience and who commits the majority of his/her practice to rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty. Your surgeon should have a consistent track record for excellent results. To determine if this is so, ask your surgeon to show you lots of before and after pictures of patients with your particular features, and speak to other patients from that doctor.
Furthermore, find a surgeon who is committed to precision and detail, because such traits will increase the odds of your achieving your desired outcome and minimize the risk of additional treatments. Computer simulations are very helpful to define your goals.  As you and your surgeon work closely together in a process of continual assessment/treatment followed by re-assessment and possible minor re-treatments, long-term results typically approach the goals closely.   Especially in more complex, reconstruction, or revision cases, the process of getting to desired goals can be lengthier and can involve more than one procedure, and therefore it is important to maintain a good rapport and avoid irreversibly burning bridges with your doctor if you wish to continue with the process of maximizing your results.  Hence, to answer your question, the expectations for improvements after a rhinoplasty should be quite high, but you get out what you put into the process.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improvement in Rhinoplasty

+1

An experienced surgeon will help you establish reasonable expectations depending on your personal physical findings. Experience is the most important consideration in achiev ing the best possible result. In general, satisfaction is high in rhinoplasty surgery.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi, rhinoplasty surgery can change the appearance of the face by bringing the nose into harmony with the rest of your features. The specific changes that you might need would have to be determined by your surgeon. I suggest that you see a plastic surgeon in your region who has experience with rhinoplasty and who is able to show you before and after photos from other patients. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty: Subtle Changes Can Produce a Dramatic Results

+1

Rhinoplasty can have either a dramatic effect or a subtle effect on the appearance of the nose depending on what techniques are used and depending on the patient's preference. The best rhinoplasty is one which produces a nose that both looks good and functions well. When performed correctly, other people should not be able to tell that your nose has been operated on, but rather they should that it looks natural.

The best way for patient to gain a better understanding of how their nose might look is to visit with a surgeon who uses computer imaging to set the goals for surgery. Recently, 3D rhinoplasty imaging has become available which allows patients to compare their preop picture with a simulated postop picture and look at them from any angle to see how surgery might change their overall appearance. Gaining a better understanding of what the result would look like before undergoing surgery can help make that decision.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improvement after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a procedure that typically yields very satisfying results. The whole look of your face can improve by making subtle improvements to the nose. When choosing a physician, it is important to do a bit of research. You want to choose a doctor who has a great deal of experience and can give you the results you are looking for. Always remember that it is important to have realistic expectations when choosing to undergo rhinoplasty surgery.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty results are individually based

+1

The results from a cosmetic rhinoplasty are based on the individual's nose. There is no way to determine how much change you can expect without seeing pictures of your nose.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from Rhinoplasty

+1

Lakshmi

In order to answer your question, I would need to know the following:

1. Need to see photos: front, oblique, profile and base views. I have patients email me photos prior to an e-consult. Video imaging can be performed by having you dial in securely into our computers. You will be able to see what changes can be accomplished.
  2. Need to know what changes you would like to see. Take down a bump/hump on your bridge, narrow the bridge of your nose, or alter/refine the tip of your nose. Rhinoplasty surgery is customized based on the individuals requests matched up to what is possible given their particular anatomy.
  3. Do you have any problems breathing out of your nose? Correcting a deviated septum or shrinking down swollen turbinates if indicated during rhinoplasty is an important part of the surgery. If you have breathing issues, select a surgeon with experience in both the cosmetic and functional aspects of rhinoplasty, ideally double board certified- ENT (Otolaryngologist) and plastic surgery.

Good luck!

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It all depends what you are trying to achieve and your expectations.  You can not look at a book and say I will take that nose or I want my nose to look like that.

So there are limits and the limits pertain to your anatomy.  You need to look for a plastic surgeon, board certified and take it from there.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Rhinoplasty improvement

+1

Rhinoplasty can do many things inlcuding provided an improved cosmetic result and improve breathing in patients that have difficulty.  Discuss you concerns with your doctor and be realistic in your expectations.

Nose Improvement with Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique. Removing the hump from a nose to create a straight profile, and narrowing a bulbous tip are the most common requests for cosmetic nasal surgery.

The goal in nasal surgery is to recreate balance of the nose with the rest of the face. A subtle change in the nose may create a profound improvement in facial balance.

Rhinoplasty surgery may improve the nose and provide great results. Only after a comprehensive nasal evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon