How Long After Revision Rhinoplasty Can I Have Another Revision?

My first operation was done in 2008 and my last Rhinoplasty revision, which I had done this year, wasn't very major, just removal of scar tissue and re-touching the tip. How long after this surgery can I have another revision?

Revision Rhinoplasty

I would suggest waiting at least a year prior to any revision surgery on your nose. In situations where the cartilage and/or bone is clearly displaced following rhinoplastic surgery, revision work may proceed sooner that this. The reason for your first revision was for scar tissue. Removal of scar tissue is relatively unpredictable and waiting at least a year will let your nose heal to a more settled point in the overall healing process. You may even like your final result and will not consider a revision at this point.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi Freya,

Contrary to most views, I believe revision rhinoplasty can be done soon after the initial surgery. I have performed revisions as soon as 2 months after the first surgery with good results. That being said, there are certain cases where is is best to wait 6 months to a year for swelling to resolve. Swelling, especially in the tip area, can take up to a year to resolve. However, if there are issues not related to swelling, then revision can be performed soon after the initial surgery

My view is that it is better to revise non-swelling realted issues before scar tissue sets in which can start within 6 weeks of the initial surgery.

The most important question to answer is: what are you seeking in a revision rhinoplasty.

Best of Luck!

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Technically there is no time limit

It depends on what needs to be revised. Most things after rhinoplasty settle down with time as the reduction in swelling occurs. Anything subtle that may be bothering a patient I would wait for 6-12 months to ensure that it is not just from swelling. If there is something very obvious that is wrong and is not going to correct itself it can be revised sooner. For example if a patient with a recent rhinoplasty broke their nose again, I would wait at least 2-3 months and then proceed. If you have very small things that you would like corrected, utilizing hyaluronic acid fillers may also be an option.

Samson Lee, MD

How long after revision rhinoplasty can I have another revision?

It is a good idea to wait at least one year before undergoing any revision nasal surgery especially in the tip. When performing a revision, you want to make sure that the nose is fully healed  and is not changing any further. For many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link below

Wait one year for revision rhinoplasty if tip work was done

There will still be swelling after the procedure, and it is best to wait one year to perform any other revision work, especially if tip work was done. Hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

You may consider consulting a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty specialist to avoid further nasal surgery.

If your nose is the right size, and not too large, you may not require any further surgery. What are you looking to achieve with another Rhinoplasty?

Feel free to email me a full-facial frontal and profile photo, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

I've attached a link to my Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful to you, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait one year after revision Rhinoplasty for another revision

I agree with my colleagues above, that the usual recommendation is one year. the nose changes for a least a year after surgery (actually for two to three years). Usually, the nose gets smaller and revision rhinoplasty may not be necessary. There are a few instances where revision surgery can and should be done more quickly than one year, but this is uncommon.

Lane Smith, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplasty should definitely wait at least 1 year after a previous rhinoplasty. The tissues need to soften and the swelling needs to come down. 

Wait at least 1 year before undergoing another rhinoplasty revision

So soon after your last revision, it's really difficult to know whether you'll need another rhinoplasty revision. Subtle changes in swelling and scar tissue can occur over the span of one year after surgery. Although you describe "re-touching the tip" as fairly minor, the swelling in the tip can take a full year to resolve. Patience is sometimes hard to come by, but it's important to have some before planning another revision.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.