Six Months Enough Waiting Before Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a primary open septoplasty/rhinoplasty 3 months ago and am not entirely happy with the results. My profile is much better than before but from the front my nose is quite crooked it was never this crooked before. Also, my breathing problem are only somewhat improved as my septum is now deviated to the other side.

My doctor agrees there is a problem and he wants to do some tweaking in a few months when I'll be six months post-op. Do you think this is long enough to wait? I'm very keen to have it fixed! Thank you.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Caldo: Your photograph shows this will not be a minor revision. Therefore, I respectfully suggest you wait a full year after the original surgery. It may be helpful to get a second opinion, even if you are very comfortable with your surgeon.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Caldo,

Contrary to what most surgeons think, revision rhinoplasty can be performed very soon after the initial surgery.

If there is a gross deformity, there is absolutely no reason to wait. This could be a poorly placed nasal implant, obvious crooked nose, inadequate reduction of dorsal cartilage or other circumstances.

If, on the other hand, you have a minor problem such as prolonged swelling or mild asymmetry, I agree that it is better to wait 6 to 12 months.

For gross abnormalities, I have performed successful revision as soon as 1 month after the initial surgery.

Looking at your frontal photo, I can see that you most likely have a "Polly beak deformity" which is a common mistake in rhinoplasty. Polly beak is when not enough cartilage is removed from the lower part of your bridge and your profile looks like a parrot beak , hence Polly beak deformity. Also the tip cartilages need to be revised. This is a situation, waiting will not do anything but prolong your frustration. This can be revised as early as 1 month post op.

Hope this helps,

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty is a difficult procedure

+2

I would agree with Dr. Rand. The timining of your revision procedure is probably not as important as the procedure which is done. While I would wait at least 6 months before performing a revision (and sometimes a year), revision rhinoplasty surgeries are fairly difficult operations. While a complete examination is definitely necessary to determine what is required, just looking at your frontal view appears that your revision is going to be fairly complicated. I would suggest getting a second opinion from a surgeon who has experience with revision rhinoplasty surgery.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

With all due respect, your nose revision is far more complex than "a little tweeking." If those were your surgeon's own words, perhaps they don't really understand the complexity of the problem you now have. I might suggest you go to a revision rhinoplasty expert as you probably only have one more chance at a decent result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Nasal Tissues Have Healed Typically 6 Mos Post-Rhinoplasty

+1

The answer is, typically yes, 6 months post Rhinoplasty the nasal tissues have healed enough to allow Revision Rhinoplasty.  Your plastic and cosmetic surgeon should check the quality of the nasal skin and assess blood supply before proceeding with the revision Rhinoplasty.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
In reviewing your post septorhinoplasty photograph it is my feeling that there is a lot more then a "little tweaking" that needs to be done. I would strongly suggest that you get a secondary opinion with a skilled surgeon who is familiar with Revision Rhinoplasty surgery.

Michael Elam, MD

Revision rhinoplasty time

+1

Waiting at least six months if not longer, will allow the healing process to mature so secondary healing is not complicated. Occasionally, obvious malpositioning of implants etc. can be done through a small incision, but major revision will have to wait. Follow up with your surgeon.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait a year for revision rhinoplasty

+1

After an extensive primary rhinoplasty/septoplasty it is probably best to wait a full year to allow for the swelling to subside. Some things may improve that may have been "fixed" in a surgery done too early. Additionally, the repair will be much easier from a technical aspect if the time for the initial healing is allowed. Finally, the repair will probably be as extensive as the first surgery, thus, a tincture of time is best.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

I prefer to wait about one year before undertaking a revison rhinoplasty.  This will be when the soft tissue swelling resolves.  However, some doctor may opt to do it sooner.

Timing for revision rhinoplasty: It depends on the extent of the intial procedure.

+1

I am not sure that this is the proper venue in which to address your concerns. It is apparent that your nose could clearly benefit from additional intervention. However, it is equally important to know where you started and what was done at the initial procedure. If a minor procedure was performed, 6 months may be suffcient time to perform an additional procedure. If an extensive surgery was initially performed, than a year may be a more realistic time period.