Retattooing over Excision Scar?

I am seeking a tattoo excision after healing process. I was wondering, can I re-tattoo over the scar? Below is the tattoo.

Scars don't tattoo well

+1

You can tattoo over your scar but the scar itself won't take the tattoo pigment as well.  Around the scar it should look fine however.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo excision and retattoo

+1

If your tattoo is removed surgically, you can tattoo the surgical scar. It may have a slighlty different "take" of the pigment than your normal skin. Over the years, the body tends to engulf the pigment dye granules in immune cells that move through the body. The scar is a physical barrier and the immune cells don't travel well through it so the fading of the tattoo might be different in the scar than the adjacent skin causing it to look a little different years later. The surgical scar might get raised (hypertrophic scar) and could become quite noticable. Laser tattoo removal can work well after many monthly treatments, but it is not expected that you will get 100% elimination of all colors.

Ronald Shelton, MD