Is Restylane a Lot More Expensive Than Botox?

I can't decide on which treatment to get because it seems that Restylane is better than Botox. I'm not so sure that I want my face paralyzed. I also want to know, does Restylane cost a lot more than Botox?

Botox and Restylane are different

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Restylane is for wrinkles that are visible when your face is in a neutral expression, while Botox is only for wrinkles that appear when you make particular facial expressions. As a result, they are for different concerns. Botox is usually charged per unit and Restylane is per syringe.

Restylane vs Botox

Restylane is used to "plump up" facial contour and smooth away wrinkles that are permanently etched in the skin. BOTOX is used to smooth away wrinkles that are caused by facial movement. For this reason, they are not the same type of product. The most suitable product for you depends on a physical examination of your concern and your expectations.

Botox and Restylane are very different

Restylane and Botox are very different products and are used differently as well, which makes them hard to compare. Restylane is a filler which is primarily used to fill areas with a loss of volume where Botox relaxes muscle activity to smooth fine wrinkles. I would recommend consulting with your local dermatologist to see which option is best for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Restylane more expensive than Botox?

Retylane and Botox treat different types of wrinkles. The purpose and end results are so different that you can not really compare them in cost. It is like comparing a special occasion dress with a wear-to-work dress, and I can not really say which one is more expensive.

Isabel Zhu, MD, PhD
Boulder Dermatologist

Filler versus Botox Confusion

This seems to be a point of confusion in a lot of my patients. Facial fillers and Botox/Dysport are for different things.

General rule of thumb is that Botox/Dysport is for lines in the upper half of the face and that Fillers are for folds on the lower half of the face.

Fillers add volume to smooth out areas of volume loss.

Botox decreases muscle activity that causes fine wrinkles.

You should have a formal consultation with a cosmetic physician. This will help you decide what is best for you.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommend that you actually find a cosmetic surgeon

Dear Thaley

One does not have their face paralyzed with BOTOX. This product is used to soften some of the muscle to improve the lines, wrinkles and muscular ridging that occurs around the eyes. The end point is not muscle freeze.

Also the agents like BOTOX and the fillers like Restylane are fillers. They do very different things. As such, individuals often elect to have both treatments to address different issues in the face. It is not really a matter of choosing one or the other.

Remember that treatment with these products is entirely of your choosing. Improving your appearance with these products in no required. People choose these services because they are safe and effective.

When you are actually ready to speak with a well qualified injector, seek out someone in your area that is one of the core aesthetic specialities: Dermatology, Oculoplastics, Facial plastics, or general plastic surgery.

In general, Restylane is a little more expensive than Botox, but does different things than botox

Botox is a wrinkle relaxer and is used on the upper face/forehead for the most part, while Restylane is a little more versatile as to where it is injected. It is a filler and can only fill, but can't actually relax.

Typically, they should be used in conjunction, so the real answer is that both are necessary, but the good news is that Restylane lasts a little longer than botox and is a bit less pricey in the long run given that fact. Good luck!

Wrinkle Smoothing

Thaley, you are comparing apples and oranges.

You could ask which is more expensive - Restylane or Juvederm - both of which are (passive) WRINKLE FILLERS made up of water seeking Hyaluronic acid and made by different companies. Or - Radiesse, Captique or Cymetra - all of which are fillers as well.

Botox on the other hand, smooths ACTIVE wrinkles which are caused by the contractions of expression muscles under them. It is TOTALLY different than a filler. You COULD ask which is cheaper Botox or Dysport, another muscle relaxer.

Sometimes all you would need is an apple. At other times, an orange and at other times a fruit salad. Depending on what you are trying to get done, you may need only Botox, only a filler, or both. Obviously the cost would depend on WHAT you use and how much of it.

Do Different Things

Really an unfair comparison since these two products do two different things. Restylane is a filler and it does just that: it fills in lines. It can perform wonders to improve such areas as the naso-labila folds ( smile lines) or marionette lines.

Botox, on the other hand, is not a filler but smooths out wrinkles caused by muscular movement. Therefore it is better suited for obliterating the forehead and glabellar lines ( the furrows between your eyes) and crow's feet.

There are locations where one does most of the work, such as Restylane for the Marionette lines, but the other can help ( relaxing the DAO muscles that help create the Marionette lines).

So you must decide which areas you would like corrected.

I think that this is more important than cost.

Costs can vary considerably depending on the locale and the wont of the physician. Botox runs $8-15 a unit in our part of the country but may be much higher in your major cities. Cost would depend also, on the severity and number of areas you want corrected. Maybe you only need a little smoothing out of the crow's feet. This would require as few as 12 units for both sides. A full facial correction, however, say at $9 a unit might cost you $480. Also, some physicians treat by area. The glabellar area being one area, the forehead another etc. Men do well with this schemata since they generally require many more units (stronger muscles).

The cost of Restylane can vary considerably also; prices ranging between $325-$700 for a one cc syringe. Presently, Restylane is offering a 2 cc syringe for $600. Again, this would depend how much product is needed and for what purposes.

So you have to determine what exactly your goals are. It might be judicious to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist and ask them what they feel you need ( Botox or Restylane) and the cost to effectuate that. Most of us offer a free consultation

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox versus Restylane Pricing

Hi,

As you know, Botox and Restylane are very different products and have different benefits. Botox is an agent that paralyzes facial muscles - it's particularly good for smoothing forehead wrinkles, treating frown lines and crow's feet, and raising the brows. Restylane is a filling agent and is really good for treating marionette lines, nasolabial folds, filling eyelid hollows and plumping the lips.

Rather than focusing on pricing, it would be best to decide what one or two things bother you the most. You can then find out from your physician what the relative cost for treating each area would be; prices vary greatly depending on your location.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.