Repairing Reccurring Incisional Hernia with Tummy Tuck?

I have a reccurring incisional hernia repair with mesh and severed right lower quadrant stomach muscle can this be repaired and a tummy tuck performed?

A surgeon severed some stomach muscle 4 years ago during abdominal surgery and I know suffer back pain from the pull the reoccurring hernia causes. I was operated on 3 years ago and had a mesh inserted - but the hernia is completely back.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair can usually be safely done together

+1

It is not at all uncommon to encounter small hernias during abdominoplasties, and these can usually be easily repaired. Your situation is more complicated, but likely the tummy tuck and hernia repair could be safely accomplished together. The abdominoplasty actually provides excellent exposure for repair of the hernia. I have had good success in situations like this removing the mesh, bringing together the edges of the stable tissues, and reinforcing the repair with one of the newer skin products such as Permacol. The tummy tuck can then be completed. Some plastic surgeons feel comfortable doing the hernia repair, and some prefer to have a general surgeon assist.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Simultaneous hernia repair and tummy tuck

+1

In most instances, a simultaneous procedure can be performed. You must be prepared however for the slight possibility that the tummy tuck will be put on hold if for some reason the hernia repair presents any unexpected problems. A thorough preop evaluation of your abdominal wall is critical and choosing the right surgeon/surgeons is also imperative.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hernia repair with tummy tuck can be done together

+1

There is no reason that these two procedures shouldn't be performed at the same time. I agree with the comments above. "Separation of parts" sounds like it wound be a good way to deal with your recurrent hernia and the tummy tuck could be done at the same time as long as there is no complication with hernia repair (like injury to the intestine). You may need one or two surgeons, as mentioned above. Just make sure the doctor, or doctors performing the procedure have experience with these kinds of repairs.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes they can both be done together. You will need to find a general surgeon as well as a plastic surgeon. Some plastic surgeons who are also board certified general surgeon can perform both procedures for you.

The right lower abdominal pain needs to be investigated further to determine the cause of it.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Repair of a Recurrent Hernia and Tummy Tuck

+1

Given that you have a recurrent incisional hernia that has already undergone mesh repair, you will most likely be a candidate for abdominal wall reconstruction. The first step is to properly diagnose what is going on in your right lowe quadrant. I would recommend an abdominal CT scan evaluation.

Depending on the CT scan findings and the complexity of the hernia, I would recommend a team approach to reconstruction your abdominal wall and definitively repair your hernia. In these complex cases, I will at times work with a general surgeon. After successful repair of your hernia, we could then complete an abdominal contouring procedures such as a tummy tuck. Of course, we would need to assess you health status to make sure it is safe to proceed with the cosmetic portion of your procedural plan.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Recurrent hernia and tummy tuck

+1

The answer is yes. You may need to have a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon do the procedure together. There are a number of ways to repair the hernia that depend upon the anatomy and pathology of the patient and the experience of the surgeon.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and hernia repair

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW:

Yes, this can be repaired bu the injury to the muscle must be more clearly identified and delineated so that the area can be properly reinforced with mesh or some other material.

In some instances a procedure called a separation of parts may be an option for recurrent ventral hernia.

Simultaneous Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1

Most abdominal wall (or "ventral") hernias can be repaired at the same time as a tummy tuck. It all depends on the size and extent of the hernia. Because a tummy tuck operation by design exposes all the anterior abdominal muscles, it actually makes it an easier approach to fix these hernias. Since you already have reccurrence after a mesh repair, you may be a candidate for an abdominal wall "components separation" operation. I would recommend that you first talk to your primary care doctor and have him or her order a CT scan of your abdomen. That way you will be armed with all the information you need when you go to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Please don't try to cut corners on this one!

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck for reccurring incisional hernia

+1

You have a challenging problem.

Sometimes, a mesh is inserted because it is easy and saves a big operation in a high risk patient, but in most occasions it is a sign that you had no stable local tissues that COULD be used to repair the hernia defect. Either way - we need ALL the information before you are put through another operation which might fail.

In some cases, an ABDOMINAL COMPONENT SEPARATION PROCEDURE may get a good stable repair. This operation separates the muscles of the anterior abdomen and advances them forward to repair large defects. To see if you could have it we need all the information.

You would need to gather ALL your surgical records, including the operative notes for each operation and see a Plastic surgeon who performs abdominal reconstruction.

Good Luck.

Recurrent Hernia Repair With Tummy Tuck

+1

You have a more complicated case that will essentially require an abdominal reconstruction. The presence of mesh could make this more challenging.

You may be able to find a plastic surgeon who could repair the hernia, and then remove some excess skin. The process would need to be started off with a CT scan of your abdomen to see "what is where" and plan the repair.

Here are hotos of a recurrent hernia I repaired at the same time as a LBL

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL715/4638173/9705895/377367187.jpg

In cases like yours, there will be some loss of the cosmetic result in order to get your hernia fixed and the abdominal wall restored to normal.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS