Will the Dysport Launch Affect Botox Prices?

Will a Dysport injection 2009 launch affect Botox prices?  I've heard people talking like Botox cost might drop if the Reloxin launch happens this year.  Is that true or likely?

I don't think Botox will go down in price

+4

For years prior to Botox cosmetic, Botox was used for functional purposes. Because there are Medicare indications for which Allergan is and was able to command a certain price point, Botox cosmetic (since it is identical) has been priced at the same level as regular Botox for functional purposes.

This has been Allergan's position when asked about pricing of their product. Perhaps their legal health team is working on a way to position themselves for the coming price wars.

I think it is inevitable that Dysport will be priced lower. If Dysport is priced at the same position, there is little reason for the practitioner to change.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finally we'll have a market instead of a monopoly

+4

Botox has been the only product for improving facial rhytids for many years. And as such they can dictate the price. Their prices have gone up every year!! Unfortunately, it's difficult for practitioners to elevate their prices in accordance. So Allergan has had a strangle hold on us.

When Mentor releases Reloxin they will do so at a cheaper price, unless they don't want to sell any. Then we'll have a market and whoever will give us the best price wins.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I certainly hope Reloxin will affect Botox prices, but we will see

+4

Reloxin is not the only product to be competing with BOTOX.

Purtox is another identical product which will emerge in the near future and like Botox and Reloxin consists of botulinum toxin type A.

At the very least, it will keep Botox from going up in price. Although the public has been protected from the rising price of Botox cosmetic, it's price has consistently gone up since it's introduction by nearly 2-3% per year. The only exception was last year. Due to the competition amongst physicians, nurses, medspas, the rising price of Botox was borne by the injector. Prices have generally remained low because so many different providers administer Botox. For many physicians, Botox is a loss leader and few make significant profit due to the increasing costs of purchasing the product.

There are a few differences as to how the products work related to dosing and diffusion but as these become more familar, it is likeley that more physicians will convert to Reloxin and Purtox users. As they become more comfortable and if the price is significantly lower, you will see physicians carry over these savings in an effort to be more competitve with conventional Botox. For some this may be very attractive.

This is not uncommon in any industry and eventually there will be more options just as there is for aspirin: Bufferin, Excedrin, Anacin, Bayer's, St. Joseph, Ecotrin, etc. People will always have their favorites.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting. Stay tuned!

What a great question about Reloxin--doctors wondering the same thing!!

+3

Everyone is asking that question, from patients to doctors. It wouldn't even surprise me if the Medicis company (makers of Reloxin) are reading this email while trying to figure out the very same thing!

If you can tell by history, when Juvederm came out, we were wondering how it would affect Restylane prices. The came out priced the same--so competition didn't change a thing. Just like with IBM and MAC--they remain 2 very good choices.

Not everyone loves Botox (but about 90% of my patients do). So I have a few patients who are eager to see if they get better results from Reloxin. There is a learning curve for doctors in using Reloxin--it is not dosed exactly like Botox, and the early studies of Reloxin showed an increase in upper eyelid drooping (ptosis) with the first use--not in subsequent uses. Was this due to doctors becoming comfortable with how to inject it? Possibly.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with the pricing---with the current economy, they would be smart to price it lower than Botox.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reloxin and Botox prices

+3

I am hopeful but skeptical that the introduction of Reloxin would decrease Botox prices. I would be pleased if they simply do not raise the price of Botox next year as it really has become quite expensive. The majority of us at this point are comfortable with the dosing, diffusion and expected response with Botox so for many, it may take a significant difference in pricing to make a switch. We'll see.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Hopefully

+3

As Botox prices continue to escalate, most physicians are hoping for a little competition in the market.

Since there are really only two competetive products, that situation doesn't always lead to "monopoly busting" unfortunately.

Brent Moelleken, MD

We will have to wait and see

+3

Reloxin will give Botox a run for its money, but I do not foresee it being that much cheaper. These drugs are very expensive to bring to market, and companies must recoup their investment. I think Allergan is very confident in its product and will rely on brand loyalty, which it will get unless Reloxin is very cheap. We have already seen a positive impact already this year, though, as it was the first time ever that the Botox price did not INCREASE!

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Hope So

+3

When I first started using Botox a few years ago the price was $385 for a vial. Now I am charged $525 per vial. The cap of the vial is different, but it hardly accounts for the $140 difference...I am still getting the same 100 cc. I certainly hope that Reloxin will be priced lower. I have heard it will be 15% less than Botox, but this is only rumor.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

No one knows yet, but it's likely Reloxin will affect Botox cost

+3

The pricing for Reloxin is still undetermined. My assumption is that a little competition will be good for lower prices.  Since Botox has had control of the market for so long, they could basically charge whatever they wanted.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Competition Effect on Botox pricing

+2

Competition is always good as it encourages companies to perform better.  Allergan has indicated that they will need to respond to the competitors, but have not lowered their pricing.  They have been more visible and supportive of rebates.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS