What's the Quickest Way to Remove Scar from Stitches?

I had 3 stitches just under my nose and now I have a scar. As you can see in the picture, it's still red after 2 months. My doctor has prescribed silica gel and I'm using it. I'm also applying sunscreen on it. What treatment would you recommend as I want to get rid of it as soon as possible?

Scars heal normally in the process of 6's

+2

Scars heal normally in the process of 6's. Typically a traumatic scar from injury looks the best at six days, the worst at six weeks due to the redness and irregularity and the best again at about six months. Topical preparations like silicone sheeting as you are using and mederma are the best. Other treatments that can expedite the resolution of the red lumpy bumpy phase include treatments with the vascular laser like a KTP, ND:YAG or pulsed dye laser treatments. They have been shown to help scars resolve more quickly. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Vbeam laser is a great treatment option

+1

New red scars respond amazingly to the Vbeam laser.  I would continue the silicone gel sheets at night.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar on lip

+1

Sun protection, massage, silicone sheeting are all good things that may help improve the appearance of a scar.  Scars are permanent, and they can only be softened in appearance.