Pulsed Dye Laser for Burn Scars from Laser Hair Removal?

I was burned badly on my chin during a Laser Hair Removal treatment. It happened 4 months ago. Should I wait a year for the scar to "mature" before trying Pulsed Dye Laser?

Also, the skin seems thinner in the area now, so would a pulsed dye laser be safe? It's a small area-round and smaller than a dime but noticeable because of my white skin.

Since I still have hair in the area, should I try IPL first, which may help w/ hair and redness? As is I have a patch of hair I must get rid of!

Pulsed dye laser for burn scars

+1

Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer this question completely without a photo. I like using a pulsed dye laser to treat burn scars in general. It is safe, reliable, and usually without much risk. I also usually recommend to treat burn scars early rather than later for the best overall cosmetic result.

If you have redness at the site than the pulsed dye may work well...or if there is some thinning of the skin then the pulsed dye may also help stimulate collagen and repair this area. I agree that you should be seen by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a proper evaluation. A pulsed dye laser works well but may not be the right (or only) laser that you need.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Pulsed Dye Laser for burn scars from Laser hair removal?

+1

George,

First, I hope you are not considering going back for "seconds" from the same facility.

Second, what is it that you are trying to achieve?
It sounds like you had either a deep second or a third degree burn which healed by scar tissue ("the skin seems thinner in the area now, ... It's a small area-round and smaller than a dime but noticeable because of my white skin"). I STRONGLY advise you to have it looked at by either a board certified Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon (www.PlasticSurgery.org).

Based on your description, I would NOT do anything for at least 6-8 months until it fully matured. Any treatments at that time should be based on the risk / cost of the procedure and the likelihood of it getting you the results you wish. For the time being stay put and use a sunscreen whenever outside.

Peter A Aldea, MD