How Long After Otoplasty Can Protruding Earlobes Be Fixed?

I just had my otoplasty done, but the doctor did not adjust my earlobes. I had a revision bi-lateral otoplasty with scar revision done a couple of weeks ago. The doctor told me after the surgery that he did not adjust the earlobe which is protruding out because of the old scar (keloid) over there.

How long do I have to wait to get the protruding earlobes fixed and do I have to pay for it separately? Also, the top of my left ear is protruding out after the surgery. Can it be fixed with a simple incision or do I need to go for another complete revision? Thanks for your response.

Earlobe repair after otoplasty

+1

Typically, I advise patients to wait about six weeks after otoplasty before undergoing earlobe repair.  In your case, there should have been discussion preoperatively about whether to repair the shape of the earlobes at the time of the otoplasty as I typically perform this as a comprehensive procedure.  If the top of one ear is protruding out, you probably need a revision but it would be impossible to tell you how much surgery would be required in the absence of photographs.  An old scar is not necessarily a keloid so, again, photos would be necessary to evaluate whether what you have is actually keloidal or simply a hypertrophic scar.

Be careful

+1

now if you are a keloid former you have to be careful from doing more surgery becouse keloids in the ears are one of the worst to be treated 

at this stage i think better you manage the keloid and you have to know further surgery might carry more risk of scarring unless its followed by radiotherapy to the area which has its possible risks too 

Nawarah Alarfaj, MD
Saudi Arabia Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty ear surgery for protruding ear, ear lobes to repair, shape or reshape

+1

Otoplasty is performed to reduce protruding ears and put them closer to your head. The ear lobes may also be protruding even after Otoplasty surgery for protruding ears

Otoplasty ear surgery is also performed to reduce the size of the ear or change the shape of the ear.  Here too,

the ear lobe or earlobes may be reshaped or repaired.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Ear lobe revision and keloid formation

+1

IF you are prone to keloids, there certainly is a risk of triggering this response and you must be willing to accept this risk. The surgery can be done at any time but traditionally most surgeons would wait a minimum of 4 monts.

Earlobe Repair after Otoplasty

+1

Since repair of earlobe problems requires frequent manipulation of the ears during the procedure, it may be beneficial to wait 2-3 months after an Otoplasty so the chance of Otoplasty suture breakdown can be minimized.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Correction of earlobe protrusion after otoplasty

+1

The earlobes are really an independent part of the ear, and protrusion of the earlobes can be repaired at any time after the initial surgery is healed. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Fixing earlobes after otoplasty

+1

During an otoplasty surgery, the plastic surgeon will address the prominent rim, the shape of the ear and the position of the earlobes. If you're earlobes are still prominent they may be easily fixed with a simple procedure under local anesthesia. This may be performed as an outpatient surgery or even as a small office procedure.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Repair after otoplasty

+1

If your surgeon did not fix your earlobes at the same time he probably had a good reason. Maybe the scar tissue or the Keloid prevented him from doing it. I think 4 to 6 weeks is a reasonable time to wait for a revision. The top of the ear may be fixed with a simple revision depending on the cause of the defect. I would discuss this with your physician and if you do not get a satisfactory answer seek a second opinion.

Good Luck

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Revision

+1

Correction of the earlobes is an often overlooked part of ear correction surgery. But in your surgeons defense he may want to wait to do the earlobes at a different setting. Often when a keloid is removed a small amount of steroid is injected into the wound before closure to help prevent another keloid formation. Steroids jeopardize wound healing. Perhaps your surgeon wanted to get the rest of the ears healed first.

You should always have a complete understanding of what the surgeon is going to do and what the post operative course is going to be like before the surgery takes place. It is the patent's job to listen and ask questions but it is the surgeon's responsibility to educate on the patient on the surgery.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Ear surgery

+1

Otoplasty comes in different combination of problems.

In some the prominent ear include forward protrusion of the ear lobe and that is corrected at the time of the Otoplasty.

You had a keloid from the first Otoplasty, now to do the revision on the ear lobe need to be dine soon before keloid is formed again.