Surgery for Congenital Facial Asymmetry?

I think I may have congenital asymmetry. The left side of my face is very asymmetrical. The cheek has less mass compared to the right and the jaw is uneven. In general, I am very ugly. Do you think I could benefit from facial reconstructive surgery and rhinoplasty? Thanks for your help.

Rhinoplasty; A Beautiful Nose Gets Out of the Way of the Other Facial Features, Especially the Eyes

+2

Hi Jasmine,

I will respectfully disagree with you; you are much too hard on yourself. You are not very ugly, in fact, you not even plain ugly. You have beautiful facial features including your eyes, cheeks, mouth, and jaw line. Your nose is large and it attracts the attention of focus.

A rhinoplasty to bring your nose into balance with your other gorgeous features would get your nose out of the way of those features.

As for asymmetry elsewhere, I would strongly discourage you from surgery. Sculptra, when properly used, is excellent for balancing facial asymmetries without the need for surgery.

Remember that the best plastic surgery is smiling, and in your photo with that smile you are beautiful.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Web reference: http://www.drpersky.com/treatment-rhinoplasty.html

Congenital facial asymmetry

+2

I TOTALLY disagree with the "ugly"comment.

As regards asymmetry - ALL of us have them. I'll bet you that you cannot see 10 people and find one who has perfectly symmetrical eyes or ears as well as other features.

Of all the features you mention, I agree your nose could be significantly improved with tip definition, reduction in width and slightly in its length. That by itself will REALLY give you a great result.

Good Luck.

Facial asymmetry is normal

+2

You might have a little more asymmetry than some but I would differ from you in saying you are "ugly." You have a pleasing look and a friendly smile and these are what matters most to people who meet you. You might consider a rhinoplasty to narrow your nose and make it fit better into your more delicate facial features. Don't worry about the rest of the asymmetry as fixing it is much more involved than it is worth.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Facial Asymmetry

+2

Dear Jasmine

I beg to differ with you for it is our asymmetries that make us beatiful and characteisric. I have a mirror in my office that reverses our image. When patients look in it sometimes they ask how the mirror has changed the way they look. The point is everyone has some asymmetry of their face, ears, breasts etc. We are created symmetrically asymmetric.

If you really feel that you are ugly and it is due to severe aymmetry there are procedures to re-arrange facial bones and augment them using craniomaxillofacial surgery. These are plastic surgeon who specialize in this type of work mostly for congenital and pediatric deformities or trauma. I would seek consultation with one of them.

You might try seeing a plastic surgeon in general consultation first as there may be minor things to do to correct your drgree of asymmetry with fillers and implants as well as a rhinoplasty.

We are our own worst critics and you must remember that so see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to discuss what your options are and how if possible to achieve your goals. Good Luck.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Surgical options for correcting facial asymmetry

+1

There are mild asymmetries noted with the cheeks in the presenting photo. The flat cheek could actually be augmented with a unilateral single cheek implant to balance to the other side. Chin implants can be custom-carved to help with facial balance in the chin area. Certainly, a rhinoplasty can be performed to narrow the bridge, the mid third of the vault and the tip to reduce the bulbosity and thickness of the nasal bridge.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Facial Asymmetry

+1

First of all, you are not ugly! Facial asymmetry is always present, in everybody. However, augmentation procedures can be done to improve the contour of your cheeks or  jawline.  Your nose is large, but could be reduced with rhinoplasty surgery.

This asymmetry is normal.

+1

All faces are asymmetrical. Very often patients don't realize that they have these until it is pointed out to them. A rhinoplasty would balance your face more and create more harmony of the parts of your face. You already have the most important part of any face--a wonderful smile!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.