Popped Pimple Possible to Turn into Cyst-like Bump?

Can a pimple after being popped cause minor mucous glands to make a cyst-like bump? I woke up one morning to go to work and everything was completely fine. I would say about 3 hours of me working, I notice I have a tiny, tiny bump on my lip. I thought it was a pimple so I popped it.

Well it got bigger and then I have a habit of chewing on the inside of my mouth/lips and this is what my mouth looks like now! Please help. It does not hurt nor itch or anything, it's just big and annoying to look at. It's red because I was trying to pop the bump again. What can I do?

Mucous cysts typically require excision (mucocoele)

+1

I would agree with Dr. Oppenhein and have had one of these myself. They are commonly caused by minor trauma such as biting or even from braces. Occasionally they rupture and clear fluid emmanates from the cavity. They often require excision as definitive treatment.

?? Mucous cyst

+1

Without viewing your photograph, this sounds like a mucous cyst of the lip. This is caused by an irritation or plugging of the minor salivary glands of the lip. It usually occurs on the lower lip slightly inside and often laterally. I might speculate that your chewing on the inside of the caused the irritation leading to this problem.

Mucous cysts,as the name implies are filled with mucous, but are not true cysts, so some pathologists prefer the term mucocele.

Whatever it is called, your problem can be remedied quite easily. I would see a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or oral surgeon and have the structure excised. Mucous cysts tend to wax and wane, but unless they are removed they don't go away on their own volition.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Acne bumps

+1

The bump you are seeing is most likely either post inflammatory due to a resolved or traumatized pimple,  a cyst, or a scar. In all of the above scenarios, it is worth showing to a dermatologist to confirm as each possibility carries a different treatment approach.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon