Is PIH from Fraxel CO2 Laser Permanent?

Can someone please tell me the truth about post inflammatory hyperpigmentation? I had fraxel co2 laser 12 months ago and still have PIH. Topical treatments have not worked and I have seen little improvement in these splotches.

Is this permanant or what is the real average time for its resolution?

PIH (Post Inflamatory Hyperpigmentation) after laser is usually temporary

+2

Usually any hyperpigmentation after laser treatment is temporary and resolves with topicals. However, it can be long lasting, particularly in darker skin individuals. When it remains, a promising new laser is the 1927nm portion of the new Fraxel Dual. I have seen great pigment clearance (from company pictures) in melasma patients. I will soon post my own patients (just received the laser - one of the first in the country). Other lasers to consider are a 1064nm laser or maybe an IPL.

Fraxel repair and PIH

+1

Hi,

Usually PIH improves over a 12 month period.  You should consult with a well qualified cosmetic dermatologist to see what your best treatment options are at this time.  Sun protection and avoidance are essential.

I hope that your PIH responds well in the near future.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD